I think it's time to say goodbye

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

My 13 year old American Eskimo dog who has cancer took a turn for the worse this past weekend. On Friday I stopped her oral antibiotics because she bit me and drew blood. She stopped eating very much and seemed to be crying in her sleep. On Monday I took her to my vet. He gave me injections to give her in place of the oral meds.

Right now she is crying like she is either angry I shut her in my room with me, or in pain. My vet said I could give her two injections a day if she needed it. I just gave her an injection this morning, right now she is laying with me. I'm going to take her on a last car ride with me today. She does not seem as happy as she was for these past three months anymore.

I'm going to give it one more day to see if the pain meds help. If not, I will be making the hardest choice I have made in several years tomorrow.

At this point it becomes a quality of life issue. I have known for months that she could leave me any time, but it never seemed like a reality. I don't want to put my girl down. At this point it seems selfish to do anything else if she is suffering.

I don't think I can handle losing her. It was hard losing my chin, it will destroy me to lose my dog.

Nobody could have asked for a sweeter dog.

I am so so sorry. My dog is 10, and I know there may not be much time left. It will destroy me too. Hang in there, you will make it through. Hugs and belly rubs to your pup.

It is such a tough decision to say goodbye to a furry family member. They are so much more than a pet. I'm so sorry you are at that point with your beautiful dog and companion. She gave you 13 years of love and dedication and it really does seem like the time now to let her rest peacefully. Hugs to you.

Thanks guys. I had her put down this morning. I held her head in my arms as she passed. I had originally made an appointment for next week, but she let me know this morning it was time.

I'm not sure the reality has hit me yet that she is gone. I have yet to go home. She won't come rushing to the door to greet me anymore.

I am having her cremated. I wanted to bring her home with me, but she is to big to bury.

I understand what you are going through. I just put my 14 1/2 year old schnauzer to sleep on monday. I'm feeling shock and disbelief right now just like you. She was so much a part of my life, every bit of routine around the house hurts. Hang in there. All we can do is love our pets all their lives and let them go when the pain and struggle is too much.

I'm so sorry :(. It's terrible to lose a pet as they are so loved and so much a part of our lives. Rest easy knowing that you did the best thing for her and you spent many wonderful years together.

I'm sorry. I'm glad you both had each other for many years. It's true, you will always have a piece of you missing and hurting, but it will get better. Rip till you meet again

aww. my heart goes out to you. it takes a strong person to pull through this tough time and your baby is now in a painless better place and has someone watching over her constantly. so sorry to hear this and i will keep you in my thoughts:cry3:

Thank you everyone. It just does not seem real she is gone. I've called her at least three times tonight, while meaning to call my poodle. I'm so numb I have not really cried yet.

I just read this and I'm sobbing. My Eskies are 11,12, & 13 now, and I worry all time. Most days I dream that I could drop everything in my life and dedicate all of my time to them for the rest of their lives. When my boys go, I will never be the same. I'm so sorry for you Renee & Brenda.

I'm sorry for your loss, I know what it feels like. In 2009, I reallyy wanted a dog. I had my first dog when I was 7 and I had to give him away because I had to move. We looked for animal rescues and places they sell dogs because they didn't have the dog i wanted at the petstores in the area where we lived. (i wanted a miniature schnauzer/poodle) because my first dog was a miniature schnauzer. i dunno why the mix but we found a dog that was that exact breed located somewhere in maine I think so we drove up there and got him. It was some kind of kennel/dog store but I honestly think it was like a puppy mill. Strangely they didn't want ANYONE in the back area where they kept the dogs. (they were all probably cooped up in unsanitary cages) No one was allowed there. They went to the back and brought out the puppy. He was extremely quiet (no tail wagging) and seemed lifeless. We named him Coby. We drove back and the first thing we did was give him water. He didn't drink (only like two sips) and we quickly realized he didn't eat any food nor drink water. He was clearly sick and something was wrong with him. At night he was in my room and he constantly threw up (he went underneath my bed and wanted to be left alone) I had school at that time so whenever I came back he was still lethargic and I honestly didn't know what was wrong. We made a vet appointment (there wasn't many vets in that area either), and they gave him some medicine and they didn't know what was wrong with him either. He wouldn't eat, drink, go to the bathroom (at all), threw up at night and wanted to hide (it broke my heart), he was apparently shipped across the states to that kennel place where we bought him. We had him for a week, and had to decide to give him back to the kennel/dog store where we got him. We originally called the kennel place that our dog was absolutely sick and they gave us advice like give him some syrup etc. (i swear they knew he was sick before passing him down to us, and they are like a puppy mill store with lots of sick puppies and making money off of them ugh) I cried so much when I had him, and we had tried everything with him. He was obviously sick and was dying/sad/depressed and constantly wanted to go underneath places to throw up and not show any signs of sickness. He was just a puppy. He got to experience love for a week when we had him. After giving him back to the kennel they said they put him to sleep. You know I still have memories of that one week we had him of him throwing up going underneath the bed and how lifeless and sad he seemed. The vet didn't know what was wrong and what do really do for him either. It was so so sad. I dont remember what the name of that store was and its suspicious that nobody is allowed to even greet the pets in the back/main area where they keep all the animals, they bring out the puppy that you called them for that you saw on that site for you. anyways this is long the only good thing that came out of the sad situation was a few days after giving him back ( i was so torn i loved that puppy), out of nowhere a coworker of my dads work place put an ad on the newspaper for toy poodle puppies that were just born :eek: and the only one left that wasn't taken was a girl out of 2 other male puppies and my dad bought her right away (she was hella expensive because she is a purebred pedigree/teacup/toy poodle) and it was like a miracle from God. And just in time before we moved back here the breeder drove 3 hours to our house there and gave her to us when she was just 5 weeks :) and then we brought our new dog and of course our chinchilla and moved here again.

Back