I need your opinions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shubbles

Did someone say woood?
Ok so my boy lost his brother when he was around 1 and that was around 2 years ago. Do you think hes lonely and need a friend to hang around with? He's if you did the math lol is 3, but can get a little snippy at night, even though he has become more comfortable, he still sometimes charges, i guess, at me. This is right after i let him out though for a few hours so he might just be tired,do you think he'd do that to another chinchilla. Also he was with another guy and did well, do you think he'll bond better with another guy? if you think its a good idea, do you think he'd do better with another guy the same age or a younger one. I've heard that older chinchillas do better with younger chinchillas, but it wouldn't be a huge difference in age (also i just REALLY want another chinchilla).

I'm sure from ready several posts in the forum you know it's never a guarantee two chins will get along. If you want another chin and want to try to introduce him to your chin, yes it's better to get a younger chin. Is your chin lonely? I don't think we would ever know that answer as they can't voice their emotions to us. Do I personally think chins should have a cage mate? Yes, I do. They are herd animals--in the wild they don't live alone, so it stands to reason they would like company. But I also have a single chin and he's just fine on his own and has been for a few years now. If you plan on getting another chin, plan on having a separate cage for him in case intro's do not go well.

I only have one female, who I adopted from a lady who had to separate her from the group of chins she had. My female simply did not get along with any of them. I personally would love to get another chin, because I love the idea of her having a friend, but I don't want to chance her not getting along and possibly harming a chin. I don't have the room for two separate cages in case a friendship isn't made, so I have to be content with just one chin. I think my chin does just fine on her own. If you are able to give your chin plenty of company, then he is probably ok being left alone. But if you can't be there for him, then maybe a cagemate is needed. But like Laurie stated, you have to quarantine a new arrival before introducing them, and then they may or may not get along. If not, you're looking at needing to separate a larger cage, or having a second cage, or even rehoming the new chin. You know your chin best...do you think he needs a cagemate?

im sure many chins would love to have a friend...........just have 2 of everything in the event they dont get along. which i have learned twice now that it can happen immediately (richie & stitch) or after months & months of bonding (snickers & oreo)

I think he'd love another guy, im just afraid they won't get along. I have a fn 142, but i bought it so the 2 chinchillas could play in the whole thing not just to downsize my chin and another chin. Do you think even though he's not a cuddly guy and probably will never be a cuddly guy, he'd be fine with another chinchilla?

I don't think anyone here can give you a definite yes or no answer on this one.

I wanted two chins to snuggle and love on each other, because you see pics of other people with chins all piled up on each other and it looks so cute. But, when it came down to it, I was too afraid I might lose one to a fight. So, I have two chins caged separately and it works out fine for me and them.

There are no guarantees your chin will accept a new chin, or that a new chin will accept your chin. They may get along great and live happily ever after, but at least be prepared in case they do not.

Back