I had no idea...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxleo

...that these little critters were so engaging!

I didn't realize that they are nocturnal (as am I!) and so intelligent because whenever you see them in pet stores all they do is sit there or sleep in the corner. My mom had told me that she used to have one as a child, but I never really thought much about them figuring they were about similar to the other rodents I'd experienced. While I used to have a golden hamster when I was young that was an absolute sweetheart, she was the only one with any personality at all out of 3 hamsters, 2 rabbits, and a number of gerbils. I had just assumed that Nibbles was the anomaly and that generally animals of that sort were simply not as interested in being socially engaged with people like cats and dogs.

But recently my mom brought home a pair that had been looking for a new home via craigslist and introduced me to "Peanut Butter" (champagne color) and "Max" (blue grey) one evening. They're quite comfortable with our other four-legged friends as they had come from a house with cats and dogs and children and had been well socialized already but had to be relocated though because their nocturnal activities were too disruptive to the people trying to sleep. After getting to observe them when they are actually awake, I really like them a lot! They are much more social than I had thought, and as everytime I came near the cage I was quite surprised to find them staring intently at me as if inviting me to interact with them or performing a Jedi mind trick. I think Peanut was trying to motivate me to bring him a treat by "using the force" XD

Since I am quite happy to be awake when they are, I finally got to see what they are like: very charming and much more desiring of interaction than I had expected. I think they like me quite a bit too and they were quick to jump up on my knee when I let them run around the bathroom a bit to let them stretch their legs out of the cage.

Who can tell this side of their personalities from what they observe in a pet store? So friendly and intelligent! Who knew? I can see after only a few interactions that these two are going to be very trainable and have taken to me enough that I might just end up liberating them from my mom's care so they can hang out with me at night instead of amusing themselves while she sleeps.

They are so adorable, though, now I'm hooked dammit! Gotten so that I have really begun to look forward to seeing them when I visit Mom. I can see myself becoming quite attached to these little buggers (but boy, they sure do POOP everywhere don't they?) I predict it won't be long before mom gets tired of dealing with cleaning up after them and then I'll have a couple of new friends in MY house!! (Now I just have to let them charm the hubby enough that HE thinks its a good idea...=] heheh! )

So anyway, to prepare for that eventuality, I found myself looking for things to get them to play with and reading about how to care for them since there seem to be some very specific issues that Mom will likely not know about despite having one so long ago. And so now I am here...

Hello, everyone!

They do seem to appreciate that I went through the trouble of pulling everything out of the bathroom so they could stretch their legs a bit more than on the exercise wheel, but keeping an eye on both at once is challenging enough to have made it a pretty brief recess break. What kind of setups do folks here use to keep them out of trouble and cleaned up after while outside the cage?

Hello and welcome to the forum! What a great way to be introduced to the little buggers. I, for one, as I'm sure everyone else as well does agree with you 100% on the pooping machines.

There are a lot of great and helpful threads in the new owners section. Enjoy and glad to have you!

First, welcome to the forums! I'm glad you've fallen so in love with these little chins. It sounds like Max is a standard gray color and Peanut Butter might be a beige. You should definitely post pictures of the two boys!

Chins definitely have personalities! I have two girls and they are different as night and day. It's good that you're awake when they are, that's when they're the most playful. Chins are actually technically crepuscular, meaning they are most active at dusk and dawn.

Playtime outside of the cage is a great way to bond with your new friends. There are tons of discussions on here about chin-proofing a room. Here is just one example: http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23297
with bathrooms specifically, make sure all cleaners are put away in cabinets the chin can't open or are waaaay up high. Your chins will make their way into the tub, on top of the toilet tank, maybe even on the sink counter. They also looove to chew, so try to cover anything they can easily get their teeth on. It is possible to train chins to pee in a litter pan. Do a search on potty training and you can read some info on that. If you manage to do that successfully, you can put the pan out at playtime to save your floors. Chins poop absolutely everywhere all the time. They can't control it, so you can't train them to poop in a litter pan. There's really nothing you can do about it. Luckily it's not sticky or smelly so it's easy to just sweep up.

If you have any more questions at all do not hesitate to ask! You will find this forum is the best place in the world for chin information. Members here have been pet owners, breeders, rescuers, and caretakers of many chins for many years.

Back