Hunchback

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

I did a search for info on hunch back, but didn't find anything, I could've missed it. Anyhow, I'd like to know what causes it and what cures it. I really think Sirius has it slightly. Info: 5 months old. Fed Mazuri and alfalfa cubes at the breeders and he's still on Mazuri here, but Timothy Hay now of course.

Thanks.

I did a general search on the net, coming up with malnutrition, poor living conditions, too many treats, etc. Is this correct?

Well, the only thing I can come up with as far as Siri goes is his previous diet which was Mazuri, alfalfa cubes and raisins-daily.

Any opinions would be great.

You might have a lead there...Who in the world fed chins an alfalfa based diet and still packed on alfalfa cubes?

You might have a lead there...Who in the world fed chins an alfalfa based diet and still packed on alfalfa cubes?

I definitely don't agree with it...but I never thought it might cause a problem, especially with them being so young. *Hopefully* he grows out of it. I just crunched some numbers and he has gained 32 grams since being here...VERY happy with that at least.

There are quite a few reasons for a chin to look hunch backed but it is generally a sign of weight loss. It can often be a result of underlying, chronic illness or acute weight loss from other issues.

Some examples are:
Malnutrition and poor diet.
Organ failure - kidney or liver disease - either chronic or acute.
General old age - some chins just become skinnier with age as they lose condition - just as humans can - the chin loses it's chunkiness and becomes a bit "saggy".
Post surgery or after some other form of illness - weight loss is common
Females post littering often look a bit hunched as well as hollow over the hips.
Pain and discomfort can make a chin sit in a hunched position and this can be mistaken for a hunched back too.
Poor quality chins - necky, thin chins can look very hunched
Young chins that have not "filled out" - some chins go through a spindly stage where they look all legs, tail, and neck - although there is not a true hunched appearance they can sit in ways that make them look as if they have a hunched back.

I have a chinchilla that has hunchback. It is serious, and once it's to the point of
having it for period of time it doesn't go away. Our little guy got it through too many
raisins and pet food loaded with treats. You are right, i had to really research on it and
not much out there. He's our special needs chinny. He is on Mazzuri and lots of Timothy
hay and some orchard grass for variety. I check his weight regularly and supplement
with Nutri-Cal for several days if the weight goes too low. I also give all my chins
Laxatone for good digestive. Poor thing he rarely gets a raisin, only on holidays and
treats are limited. Weight loss and poops are what you have to keep an eye on.

Going to sound dumb here but what is Laxatone? Does it do the same thing as acidopholis?

Why would you feed a chinnie a raisan at all when you just states that is part of what has caused this problem?

As treats my chins get rose hips, an occassional cherrio, plain jane shredded wheat, and extra wood to chew.

Going to sound dumb here but what is Laxatone? Does it do the same thing as acidopholis?

Why would you feed a chinnie a raisan at all when you just states that is part of what has caused this problem?

As treats my chins get rose hips, an occassional cherrio, plain jane shredded wheat, and extra wood to chew.

Laxatone is a laxative, usually used for cats with hairball issues.

Hunchback like said is often a dietary issue. I personaly do not like Mazuri. but either way you should not mix alfalfa hay and an alfalfa feed....unless you have a nursing female but even then just a bit of extra alfalfa in moderation.

I do give my chins rosehips, occaisional papaya and shredded wheat for treats. The
raisin is given 1/2 of one every 3 to 4 months---so it's not a problem; it's rare when
they get a raisin-and I should have omitted that part of my comment. As for the
laxatone (for hairballs), for preventitive measures (once a week)

I wasn't meaning that as a slam. Please don't take it that way. I just let my fingers over run my mouth sometimes. I was more curious about the laxitone.
Thank you for clearing it up for me. The only way I will learn is to ask questions and LISTEN to others answers.

I see no point in giving chinchillas laxitone. There is no documented proof that a chinchilla can get a hair ball, and if they do, it has to be extremely rare because I have never heard of a chinchilla having a hairball. I have heard of some acquiring a hairball, but it was due to a previous impaction caused by something else.

Can you post a picture?

I'm just curious if it's actual hunchback, or just a large dip in the neck. There is a difference.

However, I would never give a chin under 6 months old raisins daily. Not any chin, really, but especially not a kit.

Thanks Sheri for your response! I did feel a little sensitive about the raisins--me &
my daughter had no idea 4 years ago that a crappy diet does that to them. I really
should have done much more research in the early days. Funny thing is-he's always
roomed with his other chin buddy-but, that chin never got the disease; because he
always cleaned his plate-""All" of it!!hehe As far as the "laxatone-hairball"---i got my
info on that from the "joy of chinchillas"-co-author who had stated- "easy to prevent
very difficult to cure". I have a very thick furred, likes to clean himself chin- so he's
mostly the reason i looked it up. Also, i just now did some research on web site
Flower Town Chinchillas (i bought a terrific comb-cheaply-from there before) and i think
i am making a mistake using cat product. This site says use Rabbit Lax (by Peter's) or
papaya tablets they carry for preventative. Anyways, thanks for comments--got me
researching more and anything to prevent hunchback or hairballs or anything else these
little critters can get.

I have had a few rescues come in with a hunchback and they always had the junk filled treats food. I assumed that this was a diet issue. I have never seen it go completely away though even when we switched them over to a better diet.

I would like to see a pic of a chin with hunchback, so I know what it looks like. Gabby when she sleeps, she sits up and has a hump.

It's really obvious and usually caused by kidney/liver issues (poor diet).

I've had chins come in with it and had it go away. Some of the really narrow lanigera animals can appear to have it but don't. They seem to be the most likely to get it too.

Hard to find pictures nowadays, I recall one of the pet books having a great picture of it (thought it wasn't intended). http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/chinchilla.html

Look at the picture on the right, see how both the beige and standard's backs are starting to 'hump' in a "just not right" way? This is an early sign of nutritional distress. It can get severe - you won't miss it. I've seen 1" dips in between the top of the hump and bottom of the neck.

Can you post a picture?

I'm just curious if it's actual hunchback, or just a large dip in the neck. There is a difference.

Here is the original picture along with my comments.

P3190128.jpg

parkerspetchins said:
The boys are very cute . How old are they? I am not sure but Sirius almost looks like he has a little hunch going on. It could totally just be the angle of the way he was sitting or if he is really young he may not have filled out quite yet. Just thought I would mention it, keep an eye out maybe. I had a girl who looked hunched for a little while but it went away as she got a little older. Looks like they are well taken care of!

Taken from this thread: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3158

My chin that has hunchback looks similar to the chin on the left, but, bit thinner. The
neck, i think, is the big indicator. His neck is bonier and hump has never gone away
really in over 3 years that he's had it. Sometimes he does "beef up a bit" and it's a
little less noticeable--but, can always feel it. I bet too if it's (diet-all that) is corrected
right away-it probably would go away-catch it early. My chin too was thinner, than my
other two, when i got him--at the pet store-owww.

If he is only 5 months old then I'd give him time and just watch his development - he's probably "at that stage" where they can look a bit necky/gangly/hunched. He's got a fair bit of filling out to do yet. :)

Latest posts

Back