How to treat a chinchilla attacked by cagemate

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carleigh

Came home today, and found my chinchilla, Friendly, on the floor of the cage not moving and missing a ton of fur. The top of his head and his ears have many wounds. I separated them and put neosporin on the wounds. I don't have any blue kote but do plan on getting some in the morning. He perked up a few times but quickly slumped back down. Showed no interest in oats and is just laying down beside his hay right now. His breathing seems to be slower than normal but it's still somewhat quick. The closest vet is a few hours away and at after 10pm I'm really out of luck. What else can I do right now and what should I do if he doesn't start eating or drinking?

Last edited:
I am located in Charleston, SC. The only vet I know of is in Columbia, SC.
Thank you very much for that link. I feel awful that I can't get him there tonight, and I really want to do all I can to help him at home. I will follow the tips from the website and hope for the best through the night.

If you can't get this chin to the vet, probably the only thing that you can do is give it something to raise his blood sugar. Karo syrup or honey or even maple syrup could help out to just get him through being lethargic. He's probably exhausted at this point and dehydrated.

If you can get him to the vet, please take him in. He's tired, his blood sugar is low and he's heading towards shock at this point. Once a chin gets shocky it is very difficult to get the chin to perk up again. I hope he's alright...but you have to do something to get him to make it.

Last night, I tried to give him water he had absolutely no motivation for any intake. Unfortunately, he passed away very soon after, he wouldn't have even made the drive to the vet. Boyfriend and I are taking this very hard, he was the most interactive chinchilla we had. He was named Friendly for a reason. :( I feel so terrible that it even happened to him. His cage mate did attack another chinchilla before, but it was not near as severe (some fur loss on his back side and one bite) and I thought it was colliding personalities, not him having an aggressive personality. I've surely learned my lesson and he will have to be separated from the rest indefinitely. Ugh :(
Thank you for your help, EMS and AZ. If he made it through the night, it would have been thanks to you two.

I am sorry for your loss. But if the cage mate attacked another before I would never put another chin with him. I have one that is all by herself after her mom passed away years ago. I would try to put her with other females but it always failed in neutral cages. I put her in a cage where a male was and she attacked him before I could pull him out. All the attacks was just fur flying all over the place no blood.

I am so sorry for your loss Carleigh! I was afraid that might happen after you described the attack and his lethargy. Lethargy is never a good thing.

If I were you I would throw myself into reading threads on this forum about health and emergencies in chinchillas so that you are better prepared for an emergency if something happens in the future and so that you are not operating in panic mode. Not that what you found wouldn't have been a shock but you wouldn't have had to wait for forum members to see and reply to your emergency thread.

When I come across a useful piece of information or a great website, I bookmark it in my computer or print out the information and keep in it a binder by subject. It is very helpful.

As you have learned it is never good to pair a chinchilla that has attacked another chinchilla. They can live quite happily by themselves with human interaction and are usually quite friendly with humans even though they do not get along with other chins.

Again, I am sorry for your loss and hope that you can find a good exotics vet closer to you that you can utilize in an emergency. Best of luck to you.

My heart goes out to you! How is your other chin doing, the one who attacked? All you can do in this situation is make it a learning experience. I'm so sorry, big hugs to you!

I am sorry for your loss, he sounds like he was a wonderful little guy.

I disagree that you made a bad choice by pairing him to the other chinchilla. I have many chinchillas that are paired together that have previously fought with/attacked their cagemates and no one is dead or even partially injured after years of living together. In most cases, it IS a personality conflict and not something that occurs over and over again. Hindsight is always 20/20, so don't beat yourself up. Once a chin has killed another chinchilla...I would never repair that chinchilla. So your boy should live the rest of his life alone now.

Unfortunately, based on your description I don't think there would have been any saving him, even if you had gotten him to a vet the second you found him. A chin in shock with no will is not a chin that will survive. Usually, more docile chinchillas do not handle being beaten up very well and are more likely to pass from the shock of it. Also, once a chin goes into shock it is near impossible to bring them back. I've brought a few back and I know of others that have as well...but usually from people with years and years of experience that can react quickly and calmly to the situation.

Thank you for the condolences everyone. And thank you so much, Chinmama, for that link. Bookmarked, printed, and new phone contacts.

The attacker is doing fine. He is so small (compared to the others) and looks so innocent it's so hard even after 2 attacks to think of him as being aggressive. Of course, that isn't reason enough for him to ever interact with the others. I found it strange that he had no blood on him at all, though. He is white so even a drop would have been noticeable. Friendly wasn't gushing blood but he had a good amount on the fur around the head wound.

I've dealt with many injured animals and it's so upsetting when you can tell they're not trying to pull through. The fighters always seem to have a better chance than the ones that give into lethargy and lack motivation. At first his whiskers were moving around and he seemed to be interested in us, and I had some hope, but then he just flopped to his side and deep down I knew he wouldn't make it through the night. :(

I'm soo sorry to hear about your chin. Its unfortunate but it does happen more often than pet owners know.I personally have a female I kept as a pet for just that reason. She was shown out of great lines and was put into breeding. Her 1st litter she attacked the kits. I didn't think anything of it with her being a new mom. Her 2nd litter she was fine untill the kits were 9 weeks old so I just weaned them. 6 months later she killed the male she was caged with for 5 yrs! She was bred so I kept her alone and when she gave birth she killed all of her kits and she will actively attack any chin she can see from her cage now. I don't know why bu some chins just don't get along with anyone. Hopefully the other chin will be happy alone now and live a good life.

I feel you :(

The same thing just happened to me too. Being a chinchilla owner for 4 years, I never imagined being this careless. I found my chinchilla just like you described, and unfortunately didn't take immediate action, when I took her to the vet she was already died. I didn't know she already lost the will to live. So said for your loss.

Back