How to make fleece hammocks that aren't just squares

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmor1031

Mikey is a vanilla bean!
So, here is my first attempt at making hammocks, and I think they turned out pretty good ☺

1) I made sort of a stencil design out of cardboard(pic 1), however I did not have a big enough piece of cardboard, so I only made ¼ of the hammock design. I based my design off the design from http://www.forchinatechins.com/chincessories.htm

2) Then I placed the stencil on my fleece(pic 2), but make sure the way you line the stencil up (if you use one) lines up correctly with the edges of the fabric, then trace the stencil(pic 3) and do this 3 more times to complete the hammock outline.

3) Cut your design out and repeat step 2 for the second color of fleece.(pic 4 & 5)

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 305
cont'd

4) Pin the edges together but leave a space at each corner (if you are going to have fleece loops at the end that attach to the hardware, this is how I did it) for the fleece loops(pic 6). Set the hammock aside.

5) To make the fleece loops, I took 4 scraps from cutting out the pattern and kinda made them into the shape of rectangles, they don’t have to be perfect (pic 7). Pin the edges together (pic 8), and then sew the edges (pic 9), last, cut off the remaining fleece (pic 10) and turn them right side out.

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 203
cont'd

6) Now begin sewing your pattern, make sure to leave a space to turn the hammock right side out when you finish! When you get to your first corner, take 1 piece for the fleece loop and fold it in half (pic 11), then place in between your two fabrics, with the open side facing out (pic 12). Sew slowly over the loop since it is very thick, however, my sewing machine from 1950 handled it very easily (pic 13). Do this for the other 3 corners.

7) Take the pins out of your finished pattern (pic 14) and I snip off the edges of the fleece loops (pic 15) but it is not necessary if you don’t want to.

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 261
last

8) Turn the hammock right side out, sew up the hole with an invisible stitch and youre good to go! (Pic 16) Here is what the finished hammock looks like in my cage along with another hammock I made today (pic 17 & 18)

Attachments

• IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 445
Those look really great. I just use plain fleece loops (not sewed and turned inside out) I never thought about doing them that way.

I just made my first one of these this weekend.
The instructions are great! Thanks.

Though the chins so far seem to be using it as a trampoline rather than a hammock :) But as long as they are enjoying it!

I just made my first one of these this weekend.
The instructions are great! Thanks.

Though the chins so far seem to be using it as a trampoline rather than a hammock :) But as long as they are enjoying it!

I don't know how I ever missed this thread? I was making my own until my cockatoo chewed my sewing machine cord in half. (darn escape artist)
I just asked a friend to make me some hammocks. I can use this thread to show her what I am wanting.

I have a couple chins who chew one side apart, and climb between the 2 layers of fleece, and use it as a bathroom! LOL

it all depends on how big you want your hammock to be. fleece is usually sold by the yard (3 foot length), so i would think one yard would be more than enough to do a hammock, but you might want two yards if you're making a bigger double hammock.

Is it okay if the stitches show a little bit on the side the chinchilla will be on? I'm sewing it by hand right now, so I did a few things wrong and there's a couple of backwards loops of thread (dunno how I did it lol) and just a few places sewn too near the edge that when pulled you see the thread. Is this okay?

Thanks so much! I was looking at Fleece Hammocks to buy online for my chin and they cost so much. I thought about doing it myself but i wasnt sure about how to go about it. :) Ill be able to make him some now!

So, there doesn't need to be any type of batting inside it? I am a bit new to this and am ordering the fleece. I just wanted to know if any of the other projects would require it and what exactly should i be looking for... I have seen this thin quilt like "batting" per se in a hammock we received. I don't know what it's called though. Thank you for ALL your help, it is MUCH appreciated!!! :D

no, you don't want anything other than fleece for hammocks. no stuffing or anything. if a chin were to decide that fleece was something to chew, and they opened up the hammock and got at the batting, that could cause an impaction in their digestive system.

the hammock you have already is most likely a store bought one that is supposed to be for ferrets, not chins. store bought hammocks are not safe for use with chins due to the fact that they are not 100% fleece, have visible stitching, and often have nylon straps and plastic clips that are not safe.

single layer may stretch out too much. all the hammocks i have are double layered fleece, sewn with hidden stitching.

i believe there is a 'no sew' hammock design kicking around the forum here somewhere. i'm sure you could find it using the search function.

Back