how to help a chin adjust

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

I will be moving in my my mom some time in the near future. (me on disability and my dad recently died) But im very worried about how my chins will react.

She has two chiwawa type dogs. And they are very very loud. They bark at everything. They howl extremely loud. They have anxiety issues, and go crazy when she leaves the house or comes back. She has occasionally actively encouraged there howling and barking.

I have explained the issue with this, and that she needs to stop doing that for the sake of the chins. Of course i wouldn't count on her mental capacity all to much. And i will try to work with the dogs and get them to calm down and quiet down once im there.

But in the mean time im worried about the chins not reacting well when i move there. The chins will have there own little room that the dogs cant get into. But i see my chins wake up from a sleep in a panic because they heard a squirrel in the roof, i dont think they will react well to these incessantly loud dogs. - new environment, new room, new ppl, and new dogs.

Anything that can help them adjust better and/or coop with these dogs?

I'd definitely keep a radio or TV on in their room at all times to block out the noise. Also, make sure you go into the room on a regular schedule every day so that they realize nothing has changed. As long as they know they're still loved, and you reassure then that all is well, they should be pretty adaptable.

I moved into a new house last April, and gave the chins their own room. I've had friends come over with little loud, yappy dogs running all over the house and that didn't phase them at all. I also had a few large house parties last summer, complete with loud, wall-thumping bass into the wee hours of the morning. I went in quite a bit to check on them and they were completely fine. They actually seemed to like it.

I agree with Airyn! Our chins love the TV on at like all times, they never have problem with it. I also think that as long as they are given the necessary time and proper love they'll adjust. Just make sure they are acting normal and care for them like you normally would.

If they really don't act normal with the TV or music on, you can always use a different type of noise. Maybe a fan or something, it won't cover the noise of the dogs but, it would help tone it down a bit.

My girls aren't afraid of noise but they certainly aren't afraid of dogs. I had a friend bring her dog over several times and my girls were very interested in him. Almost seemed like they wanted to play with him. Funny thing was he is terrified of them. He would bark at them every time they moved but it didn't scare them at all. I would up having to put fleece around their cage so he couldn't see them and calmed down. I know fleece won't be a permanent fix but maybe temporarily it will help them get used to the noises. You never know, they could be super curious about the dogs and you'll like out.

it would be nice, but im not counting on it.
My chins hate noise, and especially loud noise. And these two dogs are beyond loud. My chins are also scared of my ferrets here. They also panic when they hear squirrels in the roof. So im expecting they wont react well to the dogs.

Back