How to get your chinchilla back in the cage consistently?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3K3

Hi all!

I am a proud new owner of a 4yo chinchilla named Monkey. He belonged to my cousin. She has had him since he was weaned so I imagine he was pretty attached to her. After she got a dog, she wasn't able to let him out much anymore so she wanted to give him to a good home.

He's been with me now for one week.

Lately he seems bored or depressed sometimes and I have real trouble getting him to go back into his cage...I'm not sure what to do.

I've been letting him out for one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening. I started by using treats to get him back in his cage at the end of a play session, which was working consistently at first.

A few days ago, at the end of a morning playtime session, he didn't respond to the promise of a treat when I offered one to get him back in his cage. And after that it seems like he doesn't much care about the treats anymore.
I've tried a few different things to get him back in, but he's really been resisting each time. The first time I lured him with a treat and then dropped a towel over him to pick him up and put him in the cage. The second time, I tried to grab him and he slipped out of my grasp. I realized right away how bad an idea that was, since he seemed pretty freaked out that I'd grabbed him and kinda chased him right after. :( The third time I offered a dust bath inside the cage and he went in happily. The fourth time he wouldn't go for the dust bath in the cage, so I gave it to him outside of the cage and then put the bath container in the cage with him in it. He was none-too-pleased about that method either and didn't finish the bath after finding himself in the cage.

I think I'm a terrible person for having grabbed him and for using these nefarious ways to land him back in his cage, but treats aren't working and I need to leave my apartment during the day. I'd really appreciate suggestions for other ways to entice him back into his cage at the end of playtime.

I've only had him a week and there are so many things that have happened that could cause issues. He seems depressed sometimes, stops playing and just sits under the bed in this one spot. When he's in his cage, sometimes he'll put his little paws on the cage side and look out at me longingly! He's doing that right now and I SO want to let him out even though it's not playtime!

He also has been chewing on things he shouldn't be (and probably eating some things he shouldn't be). I really have tried to cover everything but, being a new chinchilla owner, I just didn't realize some of the items - like a pair of scissors that he gnawed part of the plastic coating off of the handles. Oops. I put those away fast.
And, of course maybe he is still adjusting to his new home, missing my cousin, wondering if she'll ever return, mad at/afraid of me for grabbing at him, sick from eating scissor plastic,....or maybe it's just that I moved morning playtime one hour later when I realized 6:30am was too early for me! I'm worried but then he does seem okay sometimes and playing happily. He's eating fine, drinking water, pooping and peeing appropriately.

So, the point of this was to ask if there's a better way, a consistent way, to get him back in his cage? Or do I need to keep tricking him into it? Or maybe I shouldn't be doing morning playtime sessions, only evening?

Thank you

First of all, I would not be doing any play times just yet, it takes most chins at least a week to settle into a new environment. New sights, smells, and everything can be pretty overwhelming. Bonding can take anywhere from days to years, each chin is different, and have had different experiences. Obviously a well taken care of chin isn't going to take years to re bond, but a neglected or abused one can. Think of it like building a friendship with another human, you don't normally trust someone completely over night, it takes time. I would start with building a bond with the chin, assume you are starting at zero at the moment since he doesn't trust you, especially after chasing him. Rather then spending an hour with him playing out of the cage spend an hour just bonding with him in the cage. Sit by the cage and talk, sing, read aloud, etc to him, get him use to your voice and smell. You can also play with him in the cage, let him sniff you and climb on your hands and arms, play with toys with him, hand him chew sticks, strands of hay, etc. Unless the cage you have is too small for a chin he really doesn't need play time everyday, so not getting playtime until you have bonded isn't going to hurt him. Once you have a bond with him it should be easier to get him back in the cage. You may still need to trick him, but he wont resent you so much when you do. 2 hours of playtime everyday also is quite a bit, you could try cutting the time shorter, which gives you more time to convince him to go back in the cage without feeling rushed. If you have to end up rushing to get him back in the cage, and you don't have time like in the morning, just work on in cage bonding instead.

Depending on how you have the cage and play area setup, is it possible to have him play in an area round the cage with access to the cage? Like this. That way he can come and go from the cage during play time without you every having to touch him. When it's getting close to time to end play, wait for him to hop back into the cage on his own and close the cage. You can encourage him to go back in by waiting until after play to feed him or put treats, new chew sticks, fresh hay, or the dust bath in the cage. You don't want to give the dust bath everyday though, it will dry out his skin. Depending on how humid it is where you live a couple times a week is better, and will get the chin more excited for the baths too.

For now I would also work on getting the play area you want him to play in chin proofed, that means no plastics, no wires or cords, nowhere he can get to that you can't easily get him from, no access to anything that shouldn't be chewed on. It sounds like you are playing with him in your bedroom? If so the best way to chin proof is to make (you can make cheap ones out of cardboard) or buy a play pen (like the one I linked), that isolates an area for him to safely play. You can put toys and boxes in the area for him to play and hide in, so he can safely chew things and hide if he wants to. Chins need constant supervision, they aren't like a cat or dog that learns not to chew on things, so it's up to you to make sure were ever he is only has safe thing.

As for the looking depressed, it is very possible he is missing his old owner, but if you spend time just being with him he should be ok. It doesn't mean he wont bond with you, you are just not there yet. He could also be playing you, chins are great at training humans to do their bidding, lol. If you cave every time or even most of the time he gives you that sad look he learns that doing so gets him things. When he is sitting with paws on the cage and looking out, are you sure he isn't sleeping? Chins can sleep with their eyes open. Also depending on what you are doing, chins do enjoy watching tv, and listening to music, so if you are say watching something on your computer he may just be watching too.

So helpful!

First of all, I would not be doing any play times just yet, i...

Wow, thank you for your thorough response!
Yes, I guess I really jumped the gun on letting him out to play. He's surprisingly happy to be with me sometimes when he's out - climbing on me and stuff - but based on what you said, he's experienced way too much exposure too fast and maybe that's why he won't get back in his cage easily.

I have been letting him play around my bedroom, and tried to keep it all chinchilla-safe, but a play pen like what you show seems a better step to begin with, to keep him contained while we're still getting used to each other. :)

Back