How to Build a Bridge?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angels41105

Love my furry butt kids
Hello all,
So i have been looking around, trying to figure out how to build a bridge for my kids' cages. I know there are people here who sell them and sell parts to make them. But i'm super hands on and want to learn to make things myself. I was at menards this past weekend ( similar to home depot or lowes for those who don't have menards), and i couldn't find the "slats" that are used to make it. Do you just use like molding boards or thin banister poles cut into short lengths?

Also what kind of sanders and saws do you recommend for making things like this or hidey houses. I'm looking into getting a jigsaw and a spindle sander.... :help:

I just buy dowels at Lowe's..Those are circular though, not square. But they also have Square dowels you can use for your bridge :D

We also used dowels (square and round) to make our bridge. The hardest part was drilling the holes stright since we don't have a vice here.

The tools we use on a regular basis for making toys and shelves are a palm sander (around $20 at Walmart) and a small jiggsaw from Sears (I think was about $25). We use the jig for cutting boards too, but it would be so much easier to have a band saw for it. :thumbsup: Hope that helps.

I started to make a bridge awhile back and looked at the dowels at Lowe's but wasn't sure if they were safe to use.
Glad to hear that they are ok.
I also was just going to use the 1X2 pieces of KD pine and make one with those.
They are really inexpensive at Lowe's .77 cents for a 6 ft piece.
My husband cut one up for me last night and I'm going to dye them and make hanging toys

Back