how much do female chinchillas "spray'

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola

shes a little over 4 months and shes never done it before but by her cage a found a good amount of some liquid. shes the only thing it could of been. do they spray a large amount?

Female chins pee just like males. Spraying is usually done when they are irritated by someone. I have my 10 girl chins and none of them spray. One female rescue sprays if she thinks you look at her the wrong way.

As for the peeing by the cage, I have chins that pee down the side of their cage. Blech! Not sure of amount for each (peeing or spraying).

Last edited:
One female rescue sprays if she thinks you look at her the wrong way.

We had a female like this too. She'd jump up on her hind legs and bark if you looked at her wrong too. I have told this story before but worth sharing again. My 13 yr old walked by her cage a couple years back, and she assumed the position on her hind legs while in her hammock. He thought that was just hilarious. He got closer to her, and blew in her face. Being the good aim that she is, shot pee right into his mouth! She got the last laugh, and he got pee in his mouth! lol Taught him to never mess with the girls again. :tease:

Most of my girls don't pee, unless provoked by another chin, and even then that doesn't happen to often.

well i dont see how she could be stressed out being home alone

Spice hated John and would spray him any chance she got, she was not stressed just did not like his looks I guess!

You'll know when they spray:hilarious: it's worst than their warning odor.
If you're finding wet spots in the cage it's pee lol,
When I catch mine peeing on a ledge or shelf I wipe it down good with vinegar and water and make sure it's dried an no smell.

@liewwan - thanks for the suggestion on the vinegar/ water wipedown - I have one female chin who thinks ledge peein' makes her cool... feisty fur-trollop! she's also my sprayer - but gives ample warning if she is agitated so that I can beat a hasty retreat (and hide behind my wife...)

I've never been sprayed by any of my females, but sometimes when they pee in the corner of the cage it gets outside the pan. I know they spray each other sometimes as I need to clean pee spray off the walls. But some don't spray much at all.

The worst is when they spray you in the face. BLECH. Happened to me once when I was chin sitting a grumpy chin.

I'm so glad none of my own girls spray.

To the OP, just how far away from the cage is the pee?

my female is 5 years old and I have had her 3 years and she has never sprayed. Guess it just depends on the individual chin and their temperament.

I think most female chins who are not in a breeding program don't spray - I said most. I know some do Sounds like the op's chin is peeing down the side of the cage - a real pain

I have one female that will spray every time I try to catch her. This female will jump on her hind legs and get you in the face. Her 2 daughters that are over 1 year old are with her and they do not spray.

I have a couple of sprayers but most of my females do not spray unless it is in the middle of an intro

Spray leaves streaks, not puddles. A chin by itself shouldn't be spraying - it's a defense tactic so they only do it to other chins, animals, or people that they're agitated at. Most likely it's a pee spot, if it even is pee, or else a water bottle leak.

Back