How do you take a breeding collar off of a chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuraktty

I'm still figuring out what set up I want to use when I eventually get to breeding. Right not I think runs look the best for me, but I was wondering how do you take the breeding collar off? I've been looking at them and see how they are put on but how does one take them off of a chin?

The rivet that pops the halves together to close the collar also pops back out. They are easy to put on and remove at any time.

Any experience with collars causing rash or fur loss or any irritation Tabitha?

I haven't seen them cause rashes, but I have seen fur loss. Sometimes if the chin gains weight after the collar is put on, it will rub at the neck and the chin loses fur. Sometimes if the clasp is done on fur, the chin will fur slip and you'll have a bald spot around the neck. All breeding collars leave a breeding collar indentation in the fur. It's very easy to tell if a female has had a collar on her.

You just adjust the collar around the chin's neck, insert the rivet in the hole and use the rivet tool to push the rivet through the hole and secure the collar.

A breeding collar is used in a run system. It is usually metal and goes around a female chins neck, leaving a pinkys width space inbetween their neck and the collar. It is used to keep females from leaving their individual cage, while the male is uncollared he can go to all of the females. This allowed you to have multiple females to one male, without the females fighting.

Collars

Check out the size of your females neck, as a collar that is to tight will be very uncomfortable to the female and rub off more fur. Many of the large breeders have two sizes of collars, regular and large. I was so glad when they came out with the large collars.

i use collars too, very easy to put on and take off. when im confident the female is preg. i close the door so the male cannot get to her and remove the collar. this is just what i like to do, to for sure prevent breed back and make mom a bit more comfy when going in to labor.

it usually is a week or 2 before she gives birth that i do this then shes closed off till the baby is weaned. i put the collar back on when i want to breed her again. i only allow the male access to one female at a time. so when one has a baby hes busy with another female. its slow and i dont get very many babies but im very small scale and in no rush to have a baby boom

i use collars too, very easy to put on and take off. when im confident the female is preg. i close the door so the male cannot get to her and remove the collar. this is just what i like to do, to for sure prevent breed back and make mom a bit more comfy when going in to labor.

it usually is a week or 2 before she gives birth that i do this then shes closed off till the baby is weaned. i put the collar back on when i want to breed her again. i only allow the male access to one female at a time. so when one has a baby hes busy with another female. its slow and i dont get very many babies but im very small scale and in no rush to have a baby boom

The only really bad thing about this is what if the female gets her hole open? I have seen it happen Mooshy here is very good at it Until I found a way to keep her from slipping the collar..then you have a potential problem with a female attacking others or just causing issues in the run. Just something to keep in mind

I've seen chins develop huge goiter looking skin hanging under their chins due to collars being too tight and not being monitored properly. They never go away and the fur never grows back.

I think collars are cruel and I'll never use them. I breed in pairs, trios, and colonies for a reason. Then again, I don't care if I produce 5000 kits, so if I have to move a male around to get more use out of him, it's not a big deal to me.

my doors fit on really tight and i haven't had them open the door yet... usually there is only one female wearing a collar at a time per row of animals.

The only really bad thing about this is what if the female gets her hole open? I have seen it happen Mooshy here is very good at it Until I found a way to keep her from slipping the collar..then you have a potential problem with a female attacking others or just causing issues in the run. Just something to keep in mind

Good advice. Whenever I have an uncollared female in a run unit I use chin proof obstacles to removing the hole door. One way to secure the door is drilling holes through the door and the door holder. Then use a piece of wire to secure the door to the door holder so it can't be opened.

Back