How do I do a Hair Ring Check?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I typically watch my boys' behavior on a day to day basis to make sure they aren't grooming that area too frequently, having a hard time peeing...

If they are... there could be an issue and you need to hold them gently and carefully look to see if there is any redness or swelling of the penis... You can find videos on how the process works... but you need to extend the penis gently and look for any dark spots around the otherwise pink penis... once the check and/or removal is complete, you need to let it retract - using a KY lubricant can be helpful. It's a VERY delicate process (and I'm sure someone with even more detail will have an answer as well).

Otherwise, I like to leave it alone and don't poke and prod if they are acting normal.

Last edited:
Dawn,
You did a great job, I don't think I would use K-Y Jelly either. Makes things a whole lot messier than it needs to be. Thanks for sharing the video.

Thanks. The video was very informative, I can't imagine how I would get Rascal to hold still for that though. I've had him for about a month now and he is 5 1/2 months old. Do you have to worry about this at any age or do they have to be a certain age before this becomes a problem?

The earliest I dealt with and was embarassed to not have checked and my mentor found it was 16 weeks old.

We did our first check tonight and it was interesting. He didn't have a ring but the only way he would tolerate it was if a gave him hibiscus petals. Also, I had a lot of trouble getting it to go back in. All in all I think it was a good first exam. We'll definitely be working with him and getting him more used to being on his back. Any tips on that?

Dawns video does a good job showing how its done and should work well for most. As I have hundreds to check I do not have time to sit with them so I hold the male by the tail with one hand and do the check with my other hand. After a few thousand checks it becomes very easy. I also use no K-Y as it makes things messy and most times is not needed.

Back