how did u decide on a name

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jcallear

i was just wondering how u all decided on the names u gave ur chinnies?my 2 yr old was already named but my baby whirlwind,well need i say any more lol :hilarious:

I had always liked the name Bryson, I was even going to give it to a son, if I had one, in the far future, but, I gave it to my little fuzz butt. My brother named Ande. He said it would be cool to have a human name, like Bryson's, but for it to be chin related. So, Ande it is because of the Ande's mountains. :)

I re-named our first two chins because I did not like their previous names (Fievel and Tony- he was actually first named Tonya before they realized he was a boy).
We then gave them new names that better reflect their true status of chin-deities in our home: Zeus and Hades. They've been happily ruling over our lives ever since. :)

Our third boy was adopted later and came with the super name Larry David :D

My son named our first chin Richie, after his uncle. (I call him Richard when he is in trouble!!) Our second chin was already named Stitch and he is a spaz so it fit him. My last chin I just rescued, well it took me many weeks to name him. Finally I went with Zucca. It means pumpkin in Italian. I kept calling him pumpkin and I am 100% Italian, so it works!!

My first chin was named Quipper which i HATED so that was the first thing to go!......I named him Tojo then b/c thats what my grandpa called him b4 we had a name...then we found out Tojo was a boy so we called her Toji instead....Then when we got Sidney Crosby, i gave my boyfriend the option to chose between Flower (Marc-Andre Fleurys nickname) or Sidney (As in Crosby) so he picked Sidney and thats what her name is and I love it!!

I wanted to give my boys matching names, but couldn't come up with any that sounded good. Then one day my boyfriend and I were listening to Bohemian Rhapsody and we thought it would be cute to name them Galileo and Figaro. But Galileo is too long to say, so we were going to call him Gali, but that sounded dumb. My boyfriend just called him Fatso all the time, and that stuck because he's a pig. Then we shortened Figaro to Figs.

I see my chins and that's when a name comes to me. I am a big believer in human names for my animals but for some reason with my first chin I looked at her and Bobo came to mind. So she is the only animal I have with a non animal name.

Mines gizmo...just loved it , thought it was cute and it just fits him perfectly!

My chin is called Crash because during his first play time on tile, he didn't know how to stop and crashed into everything in the room at least once, including me. That made me think of a Dave Matthews Band song I love (Crash Into Me), and it stuck. :) He's not fond of being picked up/restrained either, so his middle name is No-Touchy, from The Emperor's New Groove (the Former Taller Half's favorite movie).

Cervantes was named the way he was b/c the Former Taller Half wanted to name his chinchilla after a video game character (which, incidentally, Cervantes' father, mother, and 'uncle' were also named after), but I wasn't going to have yet another Mario, Luigi, or Yoshi. Cervantes is a zombie pirate from the Soul Caliber games, my absolute favorite fighting game, and since he tends to be a little dominant, kind of greedy about treats/toys and more than a little fond of exploring, it fit. :)

When I'm naming an animal, I always try to take something about it into consideration. Rescues, especially, tend to get strong names that might lend them some courage and good vibes. But I also think it's funny/cute to meet a Rottweiler named Snuggles, Muffin, Pequeno (Spanish for Little), etc. and Yorkies, Chihuahuas and other little dogs called Thor, Big Ben, etc.

I just name them whatever comes to mind. If I draw a blank, I have a list of names I like and I just go down the list until I find something that fits.

I usually name litters with some sort of theme (I'm thinking Kirk, Spock and Chekov for the next litter of boys...lol) or I let someone else name them...if we have a visitor when a litter is born, that person gets to name them.

Currently for the girls we have:
-Girdy (after the little girl on ET)
-Audrey (after Audrey Hepburn)
-Sydney (city in Australia and Sidney Bristo from Alias)
-Joon (from the movie Benny and Joon; brother was Benny)
-Zephyr (had her name when she arrived...called her Z for a while, but since she's screams and goes berserk whenever I take her out of the cage, now she's CraZ)
-Kuiper (Ky for short; named for the Kuiper belt by Pluto)
-Lelu (from The Fifth Element)
-Calpurnia (from To Kill a Mockingbird)
-Lina (from City of Ember book series; had a brother named Doon and a sister named Poppy)
-Dora (Dora the Explorer...my 5 year old niece named her)

And for the boys we have:
-Pluto (TOV Tan White; after the planet...or non-planet...because he's way out there, lol)
-Goliath (because he's big; was originally called Mr. Barker because he likes to bark at you when you're near his cage)
-Shadow (my sister named him...he's an ebony)
-Orion (son of Pluto so went with a spacey name)
-Jupiter (another son of Pluto)
-Sputnick (I just liked the name)
-Einstein (because of his uniquely marked wacky fur; he's a white ebony)
-D'mitri (just liked the name)
-Albert (a visiting friend named him after Fat Albert...he was chunky kit)

I'm not gonna lie it took me about two weeks to pick a name that fit with my chinchilla. I mulled over various websites with lists of names. Really didn't help much in the end. I watched her and over time I thought to my self she is definitely a Jade! :)

I have two standard gray girls. They're twins but they're as different as they could be. When we got them, they were named Pancake and Waffles and then renamed Stony and Button. My husband and I didn't really care for any of these so we thought about it for about a month. Finally we decided on Wednesday and Lola.
Wednesday likes to perch in a high corner and glare at us, like Wednesday Addams. She's very sweet but can look very disapproving sometimes.
Lola is the opposite. She must be the center of attention at all times. If you try to give attention to Wednesday, Lola will rush to get there first. We called her Lola because not only is she a Showgirl, but also, "whatever Lola wants, Lola gets".

Hi,
My 1st Chin (now Deceased) was named MEESHA after a Character from the Hannibel Lector Series of Movies and then when I got the 2nd. Chin he was a young baby so I named him BABY!!!!

I loved the name Tilly when I got my first chin and I thought it fit her perfectly. I decided on the name Gizmo long before I got my second chin and once again it did fit her well. Our third chin had her name as she was a rescue (Freckles). Our fourth is our boy named Charger who would run from the back of his cage to his doorway when you went to put your hand in. Our new boy rescue already had his name , Hercules!

CuddlyCuddles, Herc should hang out with Zeus and Hades :D

Um...
I put together a list of names I like in the joy and enthusiasm of getting a new chin... Then once I have them they tend to name themselves.

Petra I didn't make a list for but she is such a house frau. Nyx I did make a list for and asked people here to help me make the list. But she was such an exotic beauty she got the greek name. And well I made a list when I got Pia, Pia was not on the list but thats just who she is.

Back