How big is a bag of feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

Would anyone happen to know the dimensions of a bag of feed for the various sizes:

5lbs
10 lbs
25lbs
50lbs

I only have a limited amount of space to put so much feed and I want to know how much I can get at once.

The problem with measuring dimensions is bags are floppy, bulky things that shift shape. They can fold over, squish down, flatten, stand up straight....

It's not best to store feed in the open bag anyway. You should buy an appropriate sized plastic storage container or sealed lid garbage can for your feed. It keeps it fresher and the nutrients from breaking down. If you get large amounts that will last a long time buy 2 containers. A big one for most of it and a small for say 5-7 days worth. That way you aren't letting air in the big container every day or 2 and only opening it about once a week. The nutrient levels in your feed will remain much better. It's even a usda requirement for licensing to have your feed in a sealed container with a label on it.

Last edited:
If you live in a moist area (like right next to the coast) your feed will mold sealed in a plastic container or plastic bag. If you have pests, use a metal one. To avoid this you can keep it in it's original bag inside the can, just so long as it is not touching the sides.

I only have a limited amount of space to put so much feed and I want to know how much I can get at once.
50lbs of feed fits in a 18 gallon rubbermaid tote. You'll have to look up the dimensions, but once you get the amount of cubic feet you can calculate any amount of height x width x depth to figure out your feed storage.

I bought a 25lb bag of Mazuri feed and it measures app. 25"Hx14"Lx4"W. I managed to fit its contents into a 10-gal Sterilite container with locking lid. Unfortunately, the container was just a little bit too tall to fit on my ferret nation's storage shelf so it is on the floor next to the cage. *sigh*

I was thinking of putting the bag in a sterilite drawer. I live along the coast of socal, would it still mold in the bag? It's a pretty dry area...

Last edited:
No, bags are designed to keep feed from molding. At least normal 25/50lb bags are. The ones in the pet stores often aren't but they are also expected to be off the ground and air conditioned at all times.

Should I drill holes in the drawer that holds the bag of food? Or is it Ok to just stick it in there?

How many chins do you have? Feed should be used as freshly as possible. I wouldn't get 50lbs if you only have 2 chins.... I have about 25 chins and use a 50lb bag in roughly 5 wks.

Back