Hi :) Now teach me.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennyson

T&C Chinchillas
Hey guys, just joining the site (although I've used it as a resource for months now :) and looking forward to learning as much as possible from you guys. I currently own 5 chins, and would consider myself a bit more experienced then some people-but not nearly as much as others!

My ambition is to breed (who's isn't these days?) but not for another year or two (getting married soon, moving, having kids, etc.) but in that time I would like to become as knowledgeable as possible. I know a lot about caring for chins, but am always eager to learn more/improve my knowledge.

The first thing I am looking for are some reading suggestions on breeding-I have found Alice Kline's two books through the MCBA website and am waiting on delivery of those, but would like some other suggestions as well.

Also-if someone could tell me about how far into the gestation period it is common for a pregnant chin's nipples to elongate? I noticed my Gabbie's very prevalent nipples on June 3rd, and still no kits.

Hello and welcome to CnH. Breeding here is taken very seriously and should only be done for the right reasons- to better the breed. Unfortunately it comes with a lot of heart break, but it can be rewarding too. It's always a good idea to have chins as pets for awhile so you can enjoy them and get to know their behavior and how to properly care for them before you think about breeding.

It would also be a good idea for you to attend a few shows to learn what a quality chinchilla should look like. You can also make connections and find someone to buy high quality breeding stock from. Many breeders are also willing to answer your questions. It's highly recommended to have a mentor as a new breeder.

Since your chin is already pregnant (?) you need to read through these things and prepare for kits:

I suggest you read through our breeding & babies section thoroughly, especially the FAQ's.

Breeding FAQ's http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864

General Breeding forum where many questions have been answered. If you use the search function found at the top right in the blue bar, you can turn up a lot of things you may be wondering about that have already been answered. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

What can go wrong in breeding; it isn't always cute and fuzzy. :( http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117

Last edited:
Hello & Welcome!

I think Stacie summed everything up fantastically. Once you've read through the FAQs, don't hestitate to ask some questions if you need any clarification.

Thank you Stackie :) And I have been doing my research-for quite a while actually, so I feel prepared to handle this first kit (though I know there is always something that could go wrong). Mostly just concerned as to why I haven't found any yet :)

I have been keeping chins for a couple of years now, and definitely my intention is to better the breed-I have cared for a couple of rescue chins in my time and so know how much of a problem over-breeding and uninformed breeding can lead to...unfortunately I currently live in Idaho-and have not been able to find much activity in the area as far as Chin shows and such-so if anybody knows of anything-let me know!

And like I said, I won't be doing any breeding for a while. I have my 3 chins that I will always have :) and whatever other rescues/temporaries come my way, and thats enough for the next year or so :) And I took in a pregnant chin once (unwittingly) and found a kit one morning with a deformed head who died a few hours afterwards, so I know the downside-hoping to experience the upside of birth this time!

I'm new here too, and under nearly the same circumstances! I have three chinnies of my own and of course, I wish to breed! Maybe sometime we could converse!

Back