Hey from a new Chin mom!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleLB

Hey everyone!

I just got my first chinchilla last night! I've been wanting one for years, so my boyfriend surprised me yesterday by taking me to get one.

So far she seems to be adjusting well. She's explored her new house and snacked on some food. Since she's my first I want to make sure I give her the best care I can. On that note, I haven't been able to find much concrete information about their diet - what are the differences between fresh food and commercial foods? As far as the commercial diets, are there any that are better than the others?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what color she is considered. All the colors and terms are a little overwhelming still!

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here and learning a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 25
Congrats on your new chin. And welcome to the forum.

Your chinchilla appears to be the standard gray, from what I can see.
I know of no "fresh feeds". Not sure what you mean by the term. There are several good quality feeds out there available to pet owners/breeders/ranchers.

Tradition, Oxbow, Mazuri, a high quality rabbit feed. Believe it to be a "show" variety. I'm sure I missed another.

Most important thing about feed is quality. Fresh as you can buy and nothing but the pellet as the main source. No seeds, nuts, fruits etc.
Offering timothy hay or orchard grass as the main treat in addition to the pellet is the most wonderful thing you can do for your pet. Keeps the gut and bowels working in the condition they were designed for. Adding all the other items will just ask for a gut condition with bloat or possible impaction.
IMO treats are really a human emotion of bonding. There are better ways to do that. Such as play, safe wood offerings in the form of shelves, perches, hay holders, houses. And of course the chin safe wood treat. Apple, willow, grape vine....the list goes on.

Pull up a chair and read some FAQ sections as well.
And of course find an exotic vet in your area. Nothing worse then looking at the last minute. I have three in the area and I swear I have only found one on duty when I had an issue.

Thank you for the advice! I have Oxbow food right now, so I'm glad that's a good one :) The reason I asked about fresh foods is because I have tortoises, and they can have pellet food, as well as fresh greens and other fresh foods to supplement the pellets. I didn't know if there was something similar that chinchillas like to have.

I also have timothy hay in her cage hanging in a little wooden holder that clips onto the side. Is that okay?

Welcome!!! She's adorable!

She appears to be a standard grey just like "6Dusters" mentioned.

I also agree with everything they said about feed.
We use Mazuri pellets and Oxbow/Timothy hay.

You'll find tons of information on this forum about feed/hay and everything you'll need to know about your chin!!

Hi and welcome! Chinchillas come from a very arid region. Their digestive tract is designed for dried grasses. A good pellet and lots of hay are the best foods you can give her. Fresh veggies and fruit are not a good idea. Too much water and sugar. The same goes for dried ones too. It is best to avoid them altogether. Give properly prepared wood sticks such as apple, pear, pecan etc as treats. Most chins love rose hips too. There are other safe treats so look around the forum for more ideas. Enjoy your new baby.

She's adorable. :)
Mine gets Oxbow pellets and Oxbow Timothy hay.

You could give her a cheerio on occasion but not often. Mine gets one of those once or twice a week. I just bought some stuff from Rondas Chins so I could give him some snacks. She offers these sample packs so you could get some flowers and herbs that are safe to give more often.

Welcome and congrats on you new baby. I just moved in a bonded sister pair of chillas, and they are adapting quite well.

Lots to learn, but have the advantage of being a day sleeper, so the sisters and I get to spend a lot of time together, along with my other animals.

Just got a shipment fro AZChins, Susan is a great supplier, quick response and shipping, threw in some bonus treats also. Bea was like loving all the wood toys, treats, and rosehips. Fae found hers too. The Baby is just a wee bit more skittish than her older sister, but progressing nicely. Gave them some wake up treats. Also placed some wood blocks and chew toys in the areas the like to hide when free ranging during play time. Hopefully that will entice them to chew on good stuff and not bad.

Back