help please!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im gonna start buying everything offline through these forums, just wish i had known about this site before, would it be best to change one thing at a time? like his hay at one time and then food after then treats? these are the ingredients for the fruit salad treat bag i use, dried banana, rose hips, potato, parsnip, carrot, rowan berrys and leek, i also use pets at home home brand yogurt drops, isomalt, milk and milk derivatives (yogurt powder 4%, oils and fats, cereals, derivates of vegetable origin, vitamins, have these been bad for my chin??

the only thing you've listed that is an acceptable treat for chins is the rosehips. everything else is considered bad for chins. veggies and fruit are high in natural sugars and a chin's digestive system cannot handle sugar.

pretty much all the treats sold in pet stores have sugar in them, and are very unhealthy. i read the labels on things more for my pets than i do for myself, lol.

good treats are: half a spoon sized shredded wheat (plain, not the frosted kind), a plain cheerio, rosehips, or even just an apple wood twig. most chins love apple wood so much that i think they consider it food, lol!

switching up hay can be done at any time, and it's good to have a variety so your chin doesn't get bored with the same kind of hay. timothy, orchard grass, brome, meadow grass..... any grass hay can be given in abundance. alfalfa hay can be given too, but sometimes calcium buildup can lead to kidney stones, so grass hays are better to give more often.

as for food, what is he currently on?

fur slips are where the chin releases a section of its fur to escape a predator. it's a self defense mechanism they have. ever notice a patch of fur come off if your catching your chin and he doesn't want to be caught? fur slip!

what about the redness, though? would that happen with fur slip? if he were a person, my first thought would be blood poisoning--can any species get that?

he eats 'pets at home chinchilla pellets' composition; wheat, lucerne, soya bean hulls, oat feed, hipro soya, wheat bran, peas, cellulose, soya oil, yeast, mint, monocalcium phosphate, salt, *short chain fructo-oligosaccharides (min.0.2) methionine, minerals. *profeed is a prebiotic

additives; nutritional additives; vitamin a 30,000iu/kg, vitamin c 800mg/kg, calcium 9g/kg, phosphorous 6g/kg,copper(copper sulphate pentahydrate) 30mg/kg, iodine (calcium iodate)1.2mg/kg, selenium (sodium selenite) 6.6mg/kg, ferrous sulphate monohydrate 200mg/kg, manganese oxide 193mg/kg, zinc sulphate 250mg/kg; technological additives; tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin 100mg/kg
analytical constituents; protien 17%, crude fibre 16%, oils and fats 4%, crude ash 6.5, moisture 9%.

going off the rest of the stuff from this place i bet your gonna tell me this is no good for him lol and i think what has happened is hes fell of 1 of his ledges as hes been asleep (because he likes to sleep on the small section of one of his ledges that hes chewed right down and can hardly stay on) and fell off and felt the impact and because of being asleep and not knowing wots gone on has let his fur slip incase it was a predator??? (he seems to do this alot i am replacing the shelve) but there seems to be nothing wrong with him at all, and i know when theres summit up with him, but if yous think i should take him to the vet please say, i just dont wanna stress him with the vet unless i have to, just scared when i take him **** go crazy because he'll only let me hold him (and when i sed a red mark iv looked agen and it seems to have gone)

Back