Help - new baby today

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickistewart

Hi - anyone out there know what to do with our brand new baby chinchilla and Mom? We separated dad but they are crying for each other at the spot in our cage (top/bottom) where we covered it to keep them apart. Only one baby - seems healthy. Is there anything we should be doing?

Baby proof the cage, you don't want the baby to escape. Also make sure everything is out of the cage like the wheel and shelves so the mother can't get away from the baby. You will want to weigh the baby every day so you can make sure it is gaining weight (about 1-2 grams daily is the minimum). Also remember to have fun with them :)

Personally I dont like to remove the dad. I've heard of females doing the same thing as yours, crying for dad and not paying attention to the baby. I am different that most people on here and would keep them together. You might get a breedback but most chins can handle it. Do what feels right for you and your chins but yes please make sure the cage is baby proof. The only reason I would remove dad is if he was aggressive towards the mom or the kits.

Not removing dad would mean lots of kits for a owner who is asking for basic help, they may not want to have kits up the wazoo.

Back