Hello

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spirit Chaser

He everyone, I'm Annette,
So, I've been ghosting around here since about mid April 2010, and finally decided I might as well join, though I'll probably still not say much. I've got two male chinchillas, a year apart in age, Haltija and Domovoi, who I have had since may 11 2010, full of personality, silly, and not afraid to make their wishes known. They're slightly spoiled with a mountain of wood in each of their cages to chew on, and they literally eat it, though straggly neither one likes any sort of apple wood I've offered...and I thought chinchillas were all supposed to love apple wood.
When I first got them, they got along beautifully, then Domovoi grew up and decided he did not need or want a roommate anymore, and if I was in the room, and as near as I could tell since I'm always at the house, only if I was in the room, they would start screaming at each other, grab hands and start kicking each other in the ribs. So I changed out the top pan in the cage, and separated them, it was sad in some ways, but on the bright side, they've gotten a lot friendlier to me since the separation about a year ago already. I knew before I got them, that chins can suddenly decide they hate each other... I did a lot of reading here and in other placed both before and after I got the boys. I do anything I can to ensure they get the best care I can.
Haltija sold to me as a white ebony, used to hate being held, till Domovoi kicked him out of their shared cage. Since they live in a fn, he's in the top, and he's quite bossy about getting his ride up and down. They run in a playpen around the cage. Now he hops into my hand on his own, lets me pet him, burry my face in his fur, carry him around...as long as it doesn't go on to long, then rides he way back up to his cage.
Domovoi, my big beautiful standard on the lower half the cage, does not believe a chinchilla should ever be held, and that's fine by me. I didn't get me chins to hold them, or try to control them. He's got a huge personality, and a strange sense of humor...or maybe a destructive one. Loves to watch me put his hay back in its flower pot, then run over and flip it, watches me sweep everything in his cage into a nice neat pile, then dive through it... After he takes a dust bath he sits on my knee and shakes himself off then goes up to his favorite shelf and does the happy tooth grind at me. He looks like a toy.

Back