Hello! Wish I would have found this forum sooner!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kara.michelle85

Hi all! My name is Kara and I live in MO. I have loved my chins from the day I got them, unfortunately I just lost one of my twin girls. I had no idea this forum even existed, so I wish I could have had access to all the knowledge before my little girl got sick!

Ruby and Pearl are their names, sisters, together since birth, about 3 1/2 years old. Friends of mine owned the parents and these were the first babies born. Pearl just passed on Wednesday of this week, but Ruby seems as healthy as ever. If I had known how well they hide their illness and that when they show severe lethargy, etc. that it's time to take them to the vet ASAP, I think I might have been able to save my poor Pearl. I found her very late Tuesday night, very lethargic, wouldn't eat, with labored breathing. Took her out of the cage to see if she would move around and she didn't budge. Only vet I had ever taken her to wasn't open that late, and the only one open that late at night didn't have their exotic doc on staff that night. So I made an appointment for the next day after I got off work (doc wasn't coming in until later in the day), but by the time I raced home after work she was gone. :(

Took Ruby in to the vet after finding Pearl, just to get her checked out, and she was healthy as ever. The vet offered to check Pearl's body for me, which I allowed as I had brought her with me in case I wanted to get her cremated.... Thought maybe it could have been a teeth issue, but when he felt her belly there was a huge mass inside! I felt it as well, it certainly wasn't anything she could have swallowed. Not sure if cancer or tumors in the stomach/intestines/etc. is common in chin's, but I certainly hadn't seen any signs of Pearl not feeling well (or anything that startling as when I found her on Tuesday). And I certainly wasn't expecting to lose one of them so young!! :(

Anyway, has anyone experienced a loss of a young chinchilla such as mine? I was also wondering if it could have been what they call a "beazor"--a mass formed after chewing hair that solidifies in the body. She had started chewing a spot of fur on her side a few weeks prior and I was tempted to bring her to the vet but didn't think it was anything to worry about because she had lost a large clump of hair in that exact spot the last time I took her to the vet (and was around dogs, lots of noise, and lots of strange people). Just assumed it could have been from stress when one of our friend's dogs had come by for a visit and gotten close to the cage. (No dogs or other animals at my house so my chins never got used to any other animals).

Sorry that this is such a long post....I'm now trying to figure out if I should try to get another female to keep my Ruby company, or if it's too soon and I should let her get used to being by herself for a while. I just get so sad when I see her sleeping in the spot where she and her sis used to sleep on top of each other. :( Any tips on how soon I should get her a friend? Or on how to go about that process.....I've heard you really need to take it slow when introducing two new ones together...

Thanks for any helpful info you all can give.
~Kara

Welcome to the forum, though I'm sorry it's under such circumstances. Pearl is in a better place:angel9:

I don't know if there's a right time to get another mate for Ruby. You are right, you need to introduce slowly, if you decide to get another. Chins are social animals, but they can be just fine on their own if you interact with them enough.

I hope you find all you're looking for and more here. Good luck!

Welcome, chins don't have to have a cagemate and you have to understand that Ruby may not take to another chin, if that's the case you'll have to have a cage big enough to separate into to separate cages for each of them if they don't get along. Take some time to grieve and read of the threads about cagemates and introductions before making any decision.

Hi and welcome to the forum, we are happy to have you here. I am so sorry for your loss, and hope that Ruby continues to thrive for you.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear about your loss, whatever the reason at least Pearl isn't suffering any more :flowers7:

Welcome to the board, Kara. So sorry about your little Pearl. I agree with Laurie to read the boards and learn about introducing a new cage mate. You can then decide if this is something you wanna do. I hope you find much information and help on boards!!!

Welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of good breeders in MO if you decide to get another girl, it's up to you, and you need to know it may work out great, or may not. I really depends on both chins' temperments, etc.

Chins are not prone to beazors, it was probably a blockage, which can occur for many reason's other than eating something large causing it. Illness or going off food for a while, poor diet, too many treats, etc.

If you'd like to have us help you evaluate your diet and care plan feel free to start a thread in diet and nutrition with what you feed and when, etc.

I'm sorry that you had to take the difficult path to get her, but I am glad you found your way here.

Back