Heat Rocks?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyNameIs86

I have had a lizard in the past and is/was wondering if i could use a heat rock in the cage? it's like a dessert rock etc.

Hand Warmers and felt.?.

Anyway, I am going to get a hedgehog tomorrow from South NJ - 57 minutes away from my home. I have a cat carrier that i am going to use but it has holes on the side and the top. So i went to CVS and bought hand warmers -
2/$1.09. Except when i got home i saw that the average temp for them are 126 F- 144-F. If i put this UNDER the blankets will he be okay? Its only for the ride home and until i get the cage set up. I don't have a cage set up now because the guy might give me the cage and accessories, but if not, i'll be using a sterilite bin (28 by 16.5) 105qts/99L.

Also can I use FELT as a liner under stuff in the cage?

Yes, with the handwarmers under the blankets, your little one should be fine. :)

Heating Pads

my mom has an old heating pad that doesn't have a shut off timer.
So my dad keeps the temp at 68 (uh oh is right).
Will the heating pad be sufficient? (Should i keep the lid on as well to keep in the heat?)

I have a heating pad under my cage and it works great. make sure to put a thermometer in to check how much heat is being put out. you don't want to cook the hedgie. also make sure there is something between the bedding and the pad to protect it from liqudis and your hedgie digging . also i don't use shavings in weebles cage so keep that in mind (goes on the whole thing with cooking the hedgie and your house with an eletrical fire) also if you don't put air holes in the bin please don't put the top on the container ventalation is key when your working with plastic containers.
cheers

You can use a heat rock, but make sure it is completely covered in something like fleece. You may need to use a few layers, depending on how hot your rock gets. I usually use heat rocks in my hedgies cages if i run out of heat pads. I kind of make a fleece "pillow" around my rock, and use the no-sew tie method so I can take off the fleece and wash it if i need to. Just make sure the heat rock itself is not exposed, because it will be way too hot.

With a house temp of 68 a heating pad alone will probably not be enough. A heating pad will only raise the bin temperature by a degree at most and hedgie will be nice a warm when in bed over top of the heating pad, but once he gets up to eat and wheel, the cage is too cool. The constant change in temperature is not healthy for them.

You need to use something for heating that will keep the whole cage at a consistent temperature of about 73 or depending on the individual hedgehog, maybe more.

Heat rocks aren't safe. They can get hot spots. Also, they don't really provide a useful heat as the hedgie won't lay on the heat rock and it won't warm up the cage.

Would it be a good idea to make a small rice bag out of a pair of old socks, heat it up, and put a second sock around the first in order to keep a hedgie warm?

Would it be a good idea to make a small rice bag out of a pair of old socks, heat it up, and put a second sock around the first in order to keep a hedgie warm?
That works short term, like a car trip. But it doesn't retain heat long enough for long term use. Also, it doesn't heat up the environment.

In addition to what Meanie said, rice bags also can give off a smell. For some hedgehogs it may drive them "nuts" and cause them to dig at the bag in order to get at the smell.

In addition to what Meanie said, rice bags also can give off a smell. For some hedgehogs it may drive them "nuts" and cause them to dig at the bag in order to get at the smell.

so THAT is what he was doing last night!
We bought a space heater for him today :)

a rice bag would be a temporary thing, like if you had no electricity for a day. you need to find a source of heat that remains a stable temperature. youre not always going to be around to warm up that rice bag every hour, it just wont work.

heat lamps or a space heater would be the way to go

Back