Hazel's babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathiva

Kathiva La Diva
Today my chin Hazel delivered two baby boys, a brown velvet, and one that seems to be a homo beige, but a little darker, he has red eyes too, but is not as dark as an hetero beige. When I bought Hazel, she was already pregnant to an homo beige male from Che chinchillas, Ryerson lines, and Hazel was bred by Chocolate chinchillas.

Both babies were born healthy and no complications at all, one of them was 58 grams and the other one was 60 grams, so they were two big boys. Also, Hazel was so chubby that I thought she was going to have triplets, she gained about 280 grams, but she surprised me with 2 babies instead, which it is much better for nursing them than 3 or 4 babies. Anyways, here are pictures of both babies.

Any suggestions as to what color is the other baby? I don't know if he would be a homo beige, or TOV homo beige, or some sort, or just a hetero beige, but he has red eyes for sure. I decided that I am going to keep him until I see for sure what color he is and then decide what to do with him,

SDC13577.JPG

Brown velvet baby
SDC13557.JPG

The unknown color baby
SDC13565.JPG

SDC13559.JPG

Side view of both babies
SDC13575.JPG

so far he looks like a homo beige or a light phase het. but just see how he grows out. hetero and homo beiges are so different you'll be able to notice the differences

I see no veiling on the first baby...he looks like a normal hetero beige to me. The second looks like a homo beige or possibly a TOV homo beige. The lighting in the pictures makes it really hard to tell.

Maybe you can take photos in natural lighting once they have fluffed up some more. The colors become much more apparent as they grow. ;)

Hi

Yeah, the first baby, looks like a hetero beige, because his face is not dark, but his back is dark brown, so that's why I think that he might be a brown velvet, but the other one, I have no idea what color he could be, and yes, it's true that I am going to have to wait a little bit to have more of an idea of what color these babies are exactly, I will take some pictures of them when they get a bit older to see how they change.

Oh, and thanks for the advice on the lighting, I never thought that natural light would be better for pictures, I'll be doing that for sure now.

Veiling on the back does not indicate TOV. If a mask is present, you know there is TOV. Since the kit does not have a mask, I would consider him a darker beige...not a brown velvet. ;)

Hi

Yeah, I was looking at him today, and I compared him to the other hetero beige baby I had born a couple weeks before him, and they look almost the same, so he might not be a brown velvet then, I just figured that he is just a darker beige then, like some standards that are born with almost a black back and some don't. Oh, well, I guess we'll see, I don't mind knowing that the other baby is not a brown velvet, but it just has me intrigued about the other one, just wondering what color he is going to turn out like.

thanks!

Thanks for your input, I will definitely put some updated pictures in the case any of the babies change color to see how they turn like

Kathiva,
I breed brown velvets and have had this discussion many times with another breeder who doesn't listen Chinchillas do not just change colors. If they are brown velvet or black velvet they are so at birth. this is what brown velvets look like at birth
picture.php

Thanks for the picture, I really wasn't quite sure how a brown velvet baby looked like when born, so now it helps more to my question, even though I am not not so sure about the other one either,

imo their both beiges. The one pic that made it look homo beige I think was just the flash from the camara washing it out

Here I have updated pictures of the 2 babies:

The homo beige:
SDC14448.JPG

SDC14433.JPG

And the hetero beige:
SDC14168.JPG

SDC14181.JPG

So you can guys see how they have turned out so far, I really love the homo beige one, which I am keeping, both boys are sweet little puff balls, but also, do you think that maybe the homo beige, would be a tov homo beige? just wanted to see your thoughts

thanks

The colors look a little off - I'm not sure if it's my computer screen or what but the first one does not look homo beige to me. He looks like a brown velvet with poor veiling... perhaps he is homozygous for beige and it's washing out the TOV... it's really hard for me to tell with those pictures though. The second one is a hetero beige.

Last edited:
You need better lighting and a white background. The orange/black/white background and no flash in the homo beige is making it extremely difficult to judge the color. I don't see TOV in the homo or hetero beige with these pictures. Try getting some pictures under natural lighting and a white background.

Ok, will do that, yeah, the first baby I know he is a homo beige, he has bright red eyes and a very light beige color, but for sure will get a better picture, the second baby, for sure is a hetero beige, I know for sure he doesn't have any TOV at all on him.

the first one looks like a TOV homo beige perhaps. It might be the lighting. Also that cage this homo beige(TOV?) is on looks kinda filthy. You might want to scrub that down. It looks pretty caked on, and anything with that color of green cant be too good :S

I didn't think either looked Homo or tov but on the background who knows just can't tell color through a photo with those backgrounds. To me in those pictures they look like hetero beiges

Back