~Hay bags?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~SG~

Orchestrating Chaos
Can anyone post pics of their hay bags. A lot of you say you use them and I'd like to try to make me one. Thanks

I don't know if I need to post a picture. I just use a cardboard box for temporary storage of hay - temporary meaning I use a full cardboard box of hay every night and I keep the rest outside in a special box trailer in the much larger quantities.

Anything you use needs to be well ventilated to let the hay breathe - the hay won't mold from condensation that can build up in a sealed container over time as it loses moisture.

some people say they have hay bags for the chins to eat out of instead of a clay pot, hay feeder, etc etc

contact threewingedfury she has them on her website Tiffany's Exotic Pets .I'm not sure what her addy is ,but it should pull up with a search.;)

she is talking about the little bags that you put in the cage.

if you do a search in the classifieds, i know people sell them. it really is only a 4 or 5 inch pouch, often with a double stitch rim.

Ohhh...I see! I thought you meant storage. Duh. Thanks for explaining it to me.

I use the flower pots...I gave up trying to contain the hay a long time ago. One of my customers uses little lunch bags to hold the hay. It gives the chins something to destroy and holds the hay for maybe a few hours... :) I haven't seen fleece hay bags...

I tried a gallon glass jar but the girl decided she'd rather use it for a bed LOL
now I'm using flower pots but they make such a mess!
I can't help but wonder if the paper bags / boxes are safe. Wont they end up eating part of them?

I'd heard others speak of these hay bags so I'm curious ;)

They normally won't eat the paper, but they will chew it to shreds. You could definitely use a tissue box or maybe another small paperboard food box for hay. Just bear in mind that just about anything you use probably won't contain the hay very well. The chins LOVE to pull it all out and throw it around. I should post pictures of the aftermath of the nightly hay party they throw every night and that I have to clean up every morning. :)

I have quite a few of Tiffany's (threewingedfury) hay bags and love them. I thought for sure I could find a good pic of one of them. The only pics I did find are from last Christmas. Tiffany's hay bag is the solid green fleece bag behind behind the tube and the christmas stocking hay bag is from rcr another member here.

cedec4d0.jpg

43d52c34.jpg

I made very simple little pouches with ties and a small hole in the front. They pull hay out of the top and through the hole. I love them, they work really well and the fuzzies like pulling the hay out, it reminds them of destroying something ;)

DSC02352.jpg

I love the idea of the themed christmas cage with the little stocking used for hay :) I have a bunch of these I used to by at a dollar store and I could so use one of them for this! Now to just deck their cage out in christmas fleece and toys :D

Back