Have you or would you give Rosewood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chintastic!

I have access to a bunch of rose wood but am unsure if it is safe. I dont see it on my safe wood list, but I figure they can get hips and buds so the wood would be safe...right? However I learned early on not to make any assumptions when it comes to chins. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I would be removing the thorns and such as well as processing them like other wood, but Ive never done it before so Im assuming it will be like that.

That's a great question. I never thought about this! I'm interested to know as well

I did read that before I posted this, but I thought it was unclear on whether it was actually safe(species etc), and on the safe wood site it says:

Rosehip branches - from the rose family and safe - Rose hips (Rosa family) are native to Southern Chile
and so more likely be found in the wild chinchillas diet

Is there a difference between Rosehip branches and just rosewood? I dont know what type of roses they are, although the site doesnt say anthing about the different species ans such brought up in the other thread.

All roses belong to the Rosaceae family which is safe. You would just need to make sure to remove any "thorns" from the branches. The only difference between rosehip-producing roses and non-rosehip-producing roses is the variety. Many of the domestic varieties don't produce rosehips because the petals are so tight, they are not accessible for pollenation... and thus, do not produce the "fruit" (rosehip). They are all in the same genus, Rosa.

All roses belong to the Rosaceae family which is safe. You would just need to make sure to remove any "thorns" from the branches. The only difference between rosehip-producing roses and non-rosehip-producing roses is the variety. Many of the domestic varieties don't produce rosehips because the petals are so tight, they are not accessible for pollenation... and thus, do not produce the "fruit" (rosehip). They are all in the same genus, Rosa.

Thank you so much! I new there were smart people on here. I did a quick search and found the thread mentioned but then it started talking about different species and I figured I better ask.

Rosewood is a name for a wood that is carved. I would make sure that the wood is coming from roses and not ornamental wood that doesn't sound chin safe because it has a scent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood

ETA I see you are using wood from actual roses but just wanted others to know that there is another wood with the same name.

Back