Have run out of pellets :S

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragsil

Yikes, there has been a big delay in my order of chin pellets and they most likley won't be here for another five days and I only have one days worth of pellets left.

What would be the best thing to do? They have unlimited high quality hay and I also have rosehips, lifeline and a few other things on hand and I'm really reluctant to mess with their tummys by buying terrible pet store pellets (everything sold here is full of treats)

If I absolutley can not find any of my kind of pellet in two days I might be able to drive to the nearest breeder to pick some up, but it's three hours away so I was wondering if they would be ok on just hay for a few days longer. If not, I'll definantly make the drive.

Such bad timing :S

Wold they drop weight because of this? I just placed another order with someone I know who can have 5kg to me in three days, so the pellet-less period has been lessened ;)

The little monsters actually peed in their food dish last night which they almost never do, it's like they know I am almost out and want to make things difficult.

Depends on how much hay your chins consume... Some of mine would be happy with all hay all the time, while others dont really care for it as much.. They may drop a little weight, but it shouldn't make them sick or anything like that.

They could drop a little weight, I suppose, but I wouldn't think there would be any lasting effect, as once you get the pellets in, they'll be eating those in and would gain back any lost weight.

I would get a bag/box of rabbit pellets at the pet/grocery store myself and monitor for any tummy troubles. I think they would be fine with simple hay pellets.

I'm really skeptical of the food at out local pet shop, even the rabbit food has those little fruit junky sugar things in them. I'm going to try to split the last days worth of pellets between my bonded pair over a two day period since one is still growing and one looks to be slightly underweight to me, the guy living by himself is like a little solid ball of fat so I'm not as worried about him losing weight.

I sent off an email to my chin society asking for advice and found that I am the only member in my district so nobody to scavange pellets from :( Ah well, the batch I just ordered should be sent off today, so fingers crossed for a Monday delivery

They'll be fine on just hay. You can offset it by giving a few oats if you're worried about weight loss.

All pellets are is ground hay with grain byproducts for filler and a mineral added.

They'll be fine without the minerals for a few days. Most of it would come from a good quality hay anyhow, if they used it.

Last edited:
Ah, 5kg of pellets arrived in the mail today, I can breathe a sigh of relief and the chins can stop looking hopefully at me every time I walk past their page.

They were without pellets a total of three days and I noticed that their poo got really big over that time......I was wondering, would it actually be beneficial to have one pellet free day per week and maybe make that the day that I offer both my regular hay as well as some alfalfa? Maybe this would help encourage tooth wear? I am actually still waiting on the alfalfa to arrive, it is really hard to get here but I have a bag of oxbow on it's way.

Ah, 5kg of pellets arrived in the mail today, I can breathe a sigh of relief and the chins can stop looking hopefully at me every time I walk past their page.

They were without pellets a total of three days and I noticed that their poo got really big over that time......I was wondering, would it actually be beneficial to have one pellet free day per week and maybe make that the day that I offer both my regular hay as well as some alfalfa? Maybe this would help encourage tooth wear? I am actually still waiting on the alfalfa to arrive, it is really hard to get here but I have a bag of oxbow on it's way.

Glad your pellets arrived!!!!!

I actually do a pellet free day once a week I find it benifical , I have heard of some people only feeding a mix of different hays and no pellets at all as it is suppos to mimic the natural feeding habits of chinchillas better vs feeding processed pellets that are more refined and man made.

Hay cubes are less refined and you could feed some of those too. Idk if anyone else does this but I have some strong clipper type scissors and I cut the "cube bale" into like a half inch wide instead of 2-3 inches like they come in, they love to be able to hold it easily in their paws

Back