Hardware use?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoundNoFtWaL

What size bolts do you all use to attach tubes and shelves and ledges to your cages? I got 5/16 x 3/4" Hex cap screws to put up my tubes. Might be a little over kill. I'm only using one washer and wing nut on the exterior of the cage to attach it. I'm working with a FN cage. Have you guys found that you have attachment failures from broken tubes without the use of a second washer on the interior of the tube? On Ledges do you use a second washer on the inside of the cage as well as outside of the cage?

2 washers help keep the item on tight and lessen bop bop bop when they jump on and off. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Don't you need to attach it with 2 anchors. Or it seems to me a tube could turn into a slide. If a second chin was on top when that happened it could easily injure itself.

I double my washers on everything; makes it a lot quieter b/c the piece doesn't bump against the wire as they shift.

I also got 3/4" hex head bolts for a tube I made them, and I think it's overkill. The stuff I buy has 1/2" or 5/8", and if I get the chance I'll probably swap the 3/4" out for 5/8"; they work well even though they *look* too small. But, they're chins, not horses. :D

I'd say it's a little overkill. :p

I use wood screws and a washer. What I can't use wood screws on I use aluminum fencing wire and strap it down (or up). With tubing I drill holes and thread the wire.

But, they're chins, not horses.
A chin has quite a bit of projectile mass when they get going, but I agree. A horse would definitely not fit in the tubing. :D

Yeah I noticed when I had wood shelves and was just using wood screws and fender washers on the longer shelves they did move a bit when bounced on. They were secured in 3 places, but this was on a Super Pet type cage. I've attached the tubes to our new FN with the hex bolts, bigger fender washers, and wing nuts in 2 places so they don't move at all. I'm thinkin about making another shelf and suspending it by fleece roaping from the celing. Not sure how that'll work out though. Hand sewing is kind of slow going.

Back