Handling With Mites?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayhedgehog

Remember, love is.
Hi guys!

My poor little Thaddeus has mites and is on Revolution to get rid of them. He will have his second dose this Sunday. I've been cleaning and disinfecting his cage and washing his liners every day. I've removed pretty much everything from his cage except for his wheel, igloo, food/water dishes and hedgiebag until we get this under control. I feel absolutely terrible that he's uncomfortable and unhappy right now. =/

I've owned hedgehogs since 2003 and have never had an outbreak of mites before. I know the basics of treatment, but I have a question about something I've never really seen discussed regarding handling hedgies with mite outbreaks.

I am worried about him feeling neglected while getting the mites under control. I'm scared to handle him outside of his cage because I don't want the mites to get in my bed/carpet/clothes/etc. so I've been handling him WAY less than I normally do. I don't want him to start to feel neglected and have to be "re-socialized". He was a rescue and took a while to warm up to me, so I really don't want to have to start from square one...

How have those of you who've dealt with mites handled this? Am I being too paranoid about the mites reinfesting him from my linens and clothes? Should I just handle him as normal or am I right to keep him away from all my cloth stuff?

I really miss snuggling with my baby. Hopefully this will all be over in a couple of weeks, but until then I'm really at a loss at what to do.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Back