Handling Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was cleaning day for Chuck's cage and I had to put him in his travel cage while doing so. I first attempted at putting it inside his big cage with some hay in it and he wouldn't go in for anything. So I had to resort to picking him up as he was investigating my hands. He was not happy about this and absolutely hated being held. Do any of you have suggestions on how to handle him until he is more comfortable with me? I hope someday he won't hate being held so much! What do you guys do when you clean? Also, he is scared when I try to give him scritches, there have been a few times he has allowed it for a bit but most of the time he just backs away, any tips?? Thank you!

Not all chinchillas like to be scratched. I have a few that don't. It will not traumatize the chinchilla to just reach in and pick it up. They need to get used to it. If there was an emergency, you can't sit around waiting for the chinchilla to decide it will go into the carrier. The chinchilla may not ever like to be held but if they are used to being handled all the time, they will learn to tolerate it.

Since he's so new, you'll have to give him time. Some chins won't warm up to getting scratched for months unfortunately. And like previously stated, some don't like it at all. You just have to keep working with him and be patient. As for when you clean, regardless if the chin likes being picked up or not, they should go in a carrier or pen if you have one. Its just easier.

THe only way he will get better about being picked up is to do it every day or two. If he bites don't let go or he will do it to his advantage

also spend lots of times with your hands/arms in his cage without chasing him. Just pick up a piece of straw and play with it. It usually makes them curious and the come to investigate.
Just do this a lot so they get used to you and your hands :)

For me with a chin who seems high strung or scared, I will start out by putting my hand in the middle of the cage and just keep it still. I do this for a week or more depending on their behavior. Then I start placing my hand right under their chest/belly and hold it still every day. As long as I stay under them, they have never nipped me. After doing this for a week or longer I will try to use one finger to scratch under their chin and see how they react. I have had this work quickly to tame a chin or take as long as a year depending on how high strung they are. Most chins are not high strung, but I have purchased chins as adults for breeding and have run into this situation several times. Taking it slow and being very patient has worked for me.

Back