Handheld Dirt Devil, or equivalent?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinTheSmallAndFurry

I'm looking into buying a hand-held vaccum cleaner for the quick runs through and around my chins' cage (hay/poop/etc.). We have a standard-size Dirt Devil, but it's a pain to lug around, and I like Shop Vacs but they're too bulky (I simply don't have the space for it in the room where my chins are)--right now something easy to store, lightweight and small is what I'm going for.

Anybody ever used a mini v. cleaner, and if so would you recommend one? Also, do they clog easy (I realize I'd have to empty it out alot)?

I LOVE my Dyson Animal handheld! I've had for almost 2 years now and it still does it's job. Although, I only use it for spot cleaning as all the other handhelds I've had ended up in our garage sales. :p I also have a dyson upright for the weekly full cleaning.

I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Devil-Ea..._4?ie=UTF8&s=appliances&qid=1305612247&sr=8-4
and it has served me pretty well. I've noticed it gets quite angry with me if I try to vaccuum up big chunks of shavings but it's really easy to clean out even when I do get clogs. And it's the perfect size for navigating around the chin cage. It's a really small vaccuum so it's nice because it doesn't take up a lot of room and it still works well (and comes in different colors - mine's pink!). Oh, and I got mine on sale for $40 so they're really reasonable, too!

We got the Dyson Digital Slim about a month ago. It was pricey at $300, and I NEVER thought I'd pay that much for a vacuum, but it was worth it. Just not having to take apart the handheld to empty it is worth the money to me. I would have to empty our old one 2-3 times just during daily cage cleanings, it was awful.

The only bad thing about it is that long hay stalks can still cause a problem, but it's easy to pull the hay back out to unclog it.

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys! It's been a long time since I purchased a vacuum....I forgot how expensive they are! For now I'll probably just buy a cheapie--save the mulah for vet stuff--and bookmark some of these for the future, :thumbsup:

Back