Hamster care

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leni

Hardcore Fleece Addict
Hey guys, haven't posted on here in forever because I've been busy with a new job, but I have a question for those of you who have hamsters. I rescued one from a kid who was bored with it and wanted to feed it to the outside cats here (yeah, can you believe that?) Anyways, I named him Dexter, got him a cage and food and water and shavings, but my question is, can he eat the wood chews the chinnies have, and the chubes and whatnot? As far as temps go, do they have specific needs? He;s in a separate room from the chinnies and obviously away from the cats but I just wanted to know if there were any special tips I needed to know. Thanks in advance!

:thumbsup:

I had a hammie for almost 2 years, and now have 2 gerbils. I am so happy to hear you saved this hammie from certain demise! I found my hammie very easy to care for. I did give him the same wood chews and toys that I give my chin. I would also give him the occasional fruits and veggies, which he loved! He had a wheel, and a little hidey house. House temp. didn't seem to be an issue, I kept it at what was comfortable for me. My hammie was very friendly and was easily handled. My gerbils are much to quick for me to try and handle, but I can pet them. I just don't take them out of their tank. They can pretty much keep to themselves and are very easy to care for. But chews for their teeth, good quality food, occasional fruits and veggies, a hidey house and wheel, water, and toys. Oh, and bedding, too! We need a pic of your new friend!

I can't help much with it off the top of my head, I've owned hammies forever but I'm still learning. I recommend the forum Hamster Central, it's mainly UK but is EXTREMELY informational and very welcoming and kind :)

Thanks so much for the advice guys! I'd love to post a pic except his little fur butt is all you'd see. Right now he's happily munching foor in his bowl but he won't show the camera his sweet little face. I'm glad I saved him too Jenn! Would've felt awful if he had become cat food.

Back