Growing up with Ramos.......(long post)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilight Chinchillas

Zookeeper extraordinaire
I have a small following on Face book with this and that, in regards to living with my 17 year old son Ramos. Ramos is autistic, semi verbal, loves Harley Davidson Motorcycles, rocket backpacks (so he can visit his Auntie in heaven) Google map, and Mountain Dew. He's also quite skilled at contacting car dealerships @ school on the computer, giving them our info so they can send me quotes via email, and once in awhile by phone!
I post little things he does, here and there. Some funny, and not so funny until I can cool off! He's a practical jokester also. More to come! Anyhow, everyone on FB keeps telling me to write a book. I don't have enough for that, but thought I'd share some of our little "Ramos" moments, and let ya all get to know my boy!

Nothing like deciding to treat myself to a mocha, only to find out that my big boy was at it again. He didn't take the change this time, he went for the the Andrew Jackson's!!!!! Hopefully the teachers confiscate it before they are gone!

Batman,Flash,Spiderman,Superman. They may just be super heroes to everyone else, but here at my house, they are the number of under wear changes Ramos has had in ONE day. Next Christmas remind me to get the kid something that doesn't require an increase in laundry for ME!!

What a morning! Black coffee for me, and Ramos thought this meant Black milk for him! Took a bit of convincing (and bribery) to get the kid to agree with Mom that maybe the black food coloring would go better with frosting as it was intended!

Alarm clock? Who needs an alarm clock? Certainly not me! I don't need to sleep in either, well according to Ramos! I woke up to a gentle giant in my bed this morning, with the giggles. Clapping his hands, and then pulling the blankets off of Mom, with increased giggles, and pure belly laughs! You all can have your alarm clocks! I'll go with the giggles!~

So Ramos asked for his fav tonight. Hamburger helper Mac n Cheese. Fine, easy dinner I thought... (first mistake) Cooked the hamburger, poured in the water, went to get the milk, and.....(long pause) There sat 2 gallons of milk as I expected, but in Chocolate and Strawberry. No wonder the 2 younger ones couldn't find the strawberry and chocolate syrup!

Dear Son, please stop hiding the things your Mother might need when you are away @ school, like the salt, can opener, oh and maybe my CHECKBOOK!!!

Ramos isn't into the whole New Years resolution thingy, but I might have to convince him to have just one. WE DO NOT RECYCLE MOUNTAIN DEW BACK INTO THE BOTTLE FROM WHICH IT ORIGINALLY CAME!!!!!

Bedroom door shut, lights off, all was well, until I heard "munch-munch" BUSTED!
There he sat a 290 pound 6'2 mouse on my bed, eating MY HIDDEN STASH OF POTATO CHIPS!
Farewell Salt and Vinegar chips, you would have tastes so good, but you are just a memory now.....

Attachments

• Ramos Dad Grandma Ruth.jpg
    Ramos Dad Grandma Ruth.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Ramos 7 am sleepykid.jpg
    Ramos 7 am sleepykid.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Ramos and Andriel Jingle Jams.jpg
    Ramos and Andriel Jingle Jams.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 173
Ramos isn't into the whole New Years resolution thingy, but I might have to convince him to have just one. WE DO NOT RECYCLE MOUNTAIN DEW BACK INTO THE BOTTLE FROM WHICH IT ORIGINALLY CAME!!!!!

Does this mean what I think it does? If so, he'd get along great with my brothers! They did the same thing to their grandfather as a practical joke... bottle back in the fridge and all...

Sounds like there's rarely a dull moment at your house!

Sigh, yes it is the one and the same as your brothers, but for us he leaves his gifts on the back of the toilet seat lid.... Sealed and filled!

I think if you sat down and thought about everything with him you would have plenty for a book. Sounds like Ramos has life figured out and you are along for the ride. If you do decide to write a book I would certainly be interested in picking it up.

I love this post. It made me smile from ear to ear. I bet he sure is a joy to be around. (when he's not getting into your hidden stash of chips, that is!!!) :)

wow, I'm sure you have your moments that test your patience, but when you read back over all of these moments and memories, I'm sure they bring a smile to your face. Ramos sounds like a terrific kid, who keeps you guessing as to what is next all the time. That's got to be a lot of fun!

He's a character and certainly keep things interesting especially when I needed it the most this past year, when I was fighting stage 4 lymphoma. He didn't know Mom was sick, everything was just as it was before.

I will try to find a picture of what Ramos does when he gets even! Long story short his older sister needed to use the bathroom. She had upset him about something. Well you'll see for yourself. I will find that picture!!!!

His one practical joke that got me good on was when I decided to have a P&J sandwich. I took a bite, and bit into Tabasco and Raspberry jelly! I promptly put the sandwich down, and went for some milk. Yes the kid had thought of everything! He had put Tabasco in the milk too!!

Christine I loved reading this! I especially loved the chocolate and strawberry milk! I'm not sure what I would have gone with for the cheeseburger mac maybe the strawberry lol!

Blessings to you and Ramos--you are clearly a strong fighter and survivor, I think of you and know God never gives us that which we cannot handle.

You should write a book. Having a special needs child is a difficult Joy. And the parents make the decision to make it a joyful experiance. My mom is a special education teacher, I worked with Autistic children for 10 years and my best friends brother is now 21. he has fragile x syndrome. He is a Joy and a challange all at once.

Your stories are great and it is wonderful to hear the love in them

I am a special needs teacher and teach one-on-one at our local college for the DisABILITY centre. Your stories about Ramos have put a smile on my face!
You are a shining star when it comes to mothers! :)

This stuff is REALLY GOOD, made me laugh out loud many times. It is Book material.
I love how you show the funnier side of Autism, I have dealt with many autistic children and adults and I am so happy when I get to see the good and joy that they bring to many a person.

As promised. This is what he is capable of when he's upset with someone. Luckily for his older sister she had a box cutter! Luckily it was electrical tape and not duct tape!

I never kept a journal, but now wish I had. Here is a story from when he was 4 years old....

My Mother in law is from Guam. She eats a tiny pickled fish. It is intact, and comes in a small jar. Ramos also LOVED this fish. So much so that one day, his older sister came running out of her room crying. She was about 6 years old.
She "had" a red betta named Chomper. Well he was no where to be found! Until I started looking around. Here I thought maybe he bailed ship? Uhhhh no... Sadly for Chomper someone decided to do a taste test. Yup Ramos, took one bite of Chomper. Found half of him at first, and the other half later. Guess he wasn't as tasty as Grandma Fish's (his nick name for her) pickled fish in a jar!!!! :laughitup:

Attachments

• Ramos toilet job.JPG
    Ramos toilet job.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 110
Ramos thinks Mom is a ROCK*STAR today! I told him he could stay home from school. Didn't feel the need to tell the kids that they declared the first snow day in 2 years to do it, and that the city has declared today a stage 2 emergency, but hey!

Back