Green Pea & Duck

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoriL

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or on Hedgie Health.

I'm trying to change my new baby from her kitten mix that she was on when I picked her up, to a healthier food mix. The first week, I added Blue Buffalo Spa Select Weight Control. She loves it and seemed to handle it fine.

This week, I have added to the kitten mix and Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck. She seems to like it, but I noticed about mid-week that she is losing a ton of quills. I tried to take a look and see if there are is any new quill growth, but I don't see any. I could be missing it, but I really think there should be some for the amount of quills she is losing.

She was born March 3rd. Is it possible she is quilling or is she having some sort of reaction to the Green Pea and Duck food?

Here is the ingredient list:
Peas, Duck, Pea Protein, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

If you think it is the food I would try pulling it from her diet and to see if that is the case. Also if you dont see any quill growth I would head to the vet and get some Revolution and treat for possible mites. If she is quilling which is possible she is(you can get a skin scraping to eliminate mites) give her some luke-warm oatmeal baths to soothe her skin and some vitamin E to keep her skin hydrated.

Back