got my chins from the Shoots today!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your new chins.

looked over some of my existing chins I already had.
He told me that he liked my ebony white male and that most of the ones I had were great for breeding quality wich made me feel a little better
If you were worried about the quality of chins I originally sold you, you should have shown them.

...and admitted you've been breeding them for the last two years.

I would like to see pictures of them now, and hear what he thought of each one. :))

Ralph knows what ones i bred. It wasn't just the ones from you Tara he looked at each and every chin I owned , I didn't ask him to he wanted to. He also gave me advice on who i should pair who with for the best results. Nothing was pin pointed on your animals at all. i have chins from other breeders also.

your correct. Most of them are from brits breedings but all the dams and sites are from ralph and barbaras herd they had. Yes they were both shown under brit/shoots chins says the card. I dealt witt Ralph and Barbara through the hole ordeal. [QUOTE=EMSChins;315420]They sold their entire herd.

Their oldest grand-daughter Brittany has had her own chins for some time, started raising them for 4H I believe when she was very young and then the rest of the family got into it including her mother and brothers when she got involved in high school athletics. Brittany has her her Ranch brand, BRIT. Their basement, where they kept the chins, flooded about a year and the Shoots have had them at their ranch for about a year or less.

Ralph showed them in Jenera this year under Brittany's ranch brand. I am assuming these are the animals that Courtney is talking about and they are of "Shoots lines" but not Shoots chins and that the Brand is actually BRIT.

I only know this because I buy my feed from Ralph and Barbara and have bought a couple of Brittany's whites, both before and after they changed locations. I am assuming that the ribbons and animals that she has ribbons for came from the Jenera show.[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying that maybe if you are going to be a breeder...you should get your information straight before putting it out there and possibly getting someone in trouble or starting rumors.

The corrrect information would be that you got your new chins from "Shoots Lines" and not that you got your new "Shoots" chins.

The same goes for many other breeders that have gotten out of the business and sold their lines, we can buy chins from those lines but they have the ranch brand of the people who have bred the actual animal.

Anyway, congratulations on your animals, I hope you do well by them and do them justice.

Their offspring should be shown as generally animals from Shoots lines when paired properly (as they probably were with Ralph and Barbara's personal help) should do well at shows when groomed appropriately (that last remark is aimed solely at me and my continually evolving skills at grooming). :)

Last edited:
I figured since i had been dealing with the shoots the whole time it was correct information. Ralph told me all the sites and dams to my chins were from his personal herd. I didn't know any better and didn't mean to start trouble over it. Sorry for the confusion, when i sent money it was all sent to Ralph and Barbara. I never ever dealt with brit. So i technically got all of my chins from Ralph and barbara. so i didnt think i would cause any confusion I'm very sorry.

If it looks like a cat, and sounds like a cat...

Although I must say that those do not look like traditional Shoots animals unless they are out of mutes they don't look dark enough with the black tip.

I do not know where the confusion came from and generally I stay out of this stuff but since I have bought from Britt's herd, I figured I would clarify.

BTW - the term is "sire". The first time I assumed it was a typo, the second time, maybe not so much???

The members on this forum are the best at holding firmly to the belief that people don't change.

It's good to see you acquiring some quality animals. Obviously, this was not cheap or easy which is the route BYBs always go for. Hopefully you can make it to a show in the next year and then after that you'll get the time and money to take your chins to shows.

As for the animals not looking like "Shoots" animals because they aren't dark enough. There is this thing called "flash" on a camera. It tends to wash out the darker tips on chinchillas and if you don't have a lot of experience taking pictures in runs, it is very easy to wash out a chin with flash.

Chinchillalover - I apologize, I was not trying to create an issue, I am not even aware of an issue with you. I was simply stating that the Shoots did indeed sell their herd and clarifying where the animals may have come from. I am sorry that in re-reading my post that it came across as "lecturing" - I think I spent too many years working in the school system.

I don't want you to think that I am participating in any member bashing because honestly whatever this is about - it must have been before my time???

I never mistook your post as rude promise. Thank you for clarifying the misunderstanding. It was my fault for not properly stating what had happened but now we all know.

Also tabitha,
Thank you and yes the flash was on. I was confused about the comment towards them not being dark because they are all indeed very dark standards in person so I just left it alone to avoid conflict. I plan on trying to fly out to nationals or your state show next year ! Also no, it was not cheap. I paid more for this group of chins than I paid for my car LOL. I am very proud of them and am so happy I made that decision.
Chinchillalover - I apologize, I was not trying to create an issue, I am not even aware of an issue with you. I was simply stating that the Shoots did indeed sell their herd and clarifying where the animals may have come from. I am sorry that in re-reading my post that it came across as "lecturing" - I think I spent too many years working in the school system.

I don't want you to think that I am participating in any member bashing because honestly whatever this is about - it must have been before my time???

So is the whole herd $200?

ETA: I think she's been trying to sell them since the end of June.

Last edited:
Nothing new there, 0-60 chins then bust, happens over and over and over again and the chins lose.

Last edited:
I don't know but I like that Nitrogen! If she wasn't so far away he could live happily ever after with me. I'd gladly pay $200 for him.

$20,000? For how many animals? Even if it was 60 animals (which is a high estimate I think) what kind of prices are we looking at?

60 animals @ $200 = $12,000
60 cages @ $1000 (reasonable used prices)
That only accounts for $13,000...erm...what kind of supplies could one have to account for an additional $7,000? Furthermore, everyone knows you DISCOUNT whole herds...not charge "retail". Meh

ETA- there aren't many 1st place animals that are worth $200 to me. I'm not cheap, I'm smart. I know you can get 1st place animals for $100-150. Heck, I've sold Res.Phase.Champ bv's for $75. Fresh off the show table and that's no lie. I've sold Res.Phase Champ beige for $125...I wouldn't pay it on principle

Last edited:
Back