good buyer?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chinchildren

we all love to rip into breeders/sellers.
i have had my share of buyers that i swear i will not talk to, sell to, etc depending on what the nature of our interaction was.

buyers who lie to you (promise to return the animal if their plans change, promise not to breed the animal, promise to keep two animals paired etc)?

buyers who send you endless pms and emails every time you start a "for sale" post and then fall off the face of the earth/loose their job the day they were to send a deposit etc...

buyers who complain about the quality of your animals production - or non production - regardless of what they have done with them or what you told them before they got the animals.

people who ask you to drive have way across the country/hold the animal for 6 months etc and by the way "will you drop the price to $50 since i am now supporting my grandmother's new boyfriend?"

just wanted to put it out there that buyers come from hell too!

I have had people that wanted me to hold them and back out, people that didn't show up, and people drop of the face of the Earth.

Oh I have this young girl emailing me and posting to my website... asking me to hold chinchillas until July incase her parents change their mind. then got upset when I sold the male in question....

I have been lied to, I have had just plain old crazy people show up. I have had people get mad at me when I will not sell an animal from my breeding herd

I have gotten insulted and acused of being a irreputable breeder because I would not let them borrow a pregnant female and witness the miracle of birth...but they would have let me have the kits back...

I just laugh it off or read the really good emails to marshall. There are good and bad in all people. I constantly get emails that my address isn't on my website and would I please put it up so people can stop by more easily when just in the area....ummm NO.

But for every bad buyer there are great people out there too, and that is what we have to focus on

Man Kristy your post is hilarious! Some people really are weird arent they. Sometimes I wonder if they think this is a petting zoo. Five dollars for admission!! lol

I can understand your venting. There are good people and stupid people. You can't polish a turd.
I vented to several great breeders about my beginning buying experiences. There are those breeders that are a wealth of knowledge and those that need to go back to shows to see they are way off the "flipping" path!!! I felt a little better knowing that many of us have been "taken" in the beginning. However having said that, it is of my opinion there are too many that won't make it to the show table. And they will end up where????

Actually, they proved that you can actually polish a turd in Myth Busters :D

Shelli We all feel your pain at one time or another and I agree with alot of the things funny or serious stated in this thread..

recently I have had 2 different people I am in contact with Both people have done things the wrong way (by our standards) (or at least mine)..Bred related chins, pet store chins, BV to BV, 400 gram chins, chins with no pedigrees ( the list goes on and on0 ..One of the people have tried to tap my knowledge and improve to learn and do things the right way..the other pair says they want to learn and call me daily but yet refuse to see they are wrong and are not willing to change..Also think that I charge entirely too much for my chins..anyone who knows me knows different..But hey I am not gonna sell you a crappy 50 chin that should not be bred..Sorry...Yet everytime they have an emergency, sick chin. dying chin I am their first call...Why??

this biz has it's up and downs and honestly I have become very strict on who I will sell my offspring too.. Years of seeing horror with chins and customers have jaded me..

I had someone contact me about a chin who has treated me questionable in the past, they acknowledged it, but I told them, I don't have to like the person, I have to know the chin will be taken care of. I don't have to live with them and the chin, as long as I am sure they will take care of the chin well... that's my main concern.

I have people I won't sell too, people that can't even take care of themselves, let alone an animal.

You can polish a turd, but all you have is a shiny turd.

My absolute favorite are the excuses that people come up with as to why they dont have the money now.... like their car always breaks down.... spouse loses job....child is getting married....they are magically pregnant and due tomorrow and they had no idea!

Or I just had a guy call me and try to talk my prices down to about $50 because he could go to his local pet store and they had them for $75 and he would be spending $25 in gas just to get out here so he would be better off getting it from a pet store.... I tried to tell him why he should buy from me bc you know its been handled and where it comes from and a decent idea of health and such and he said well good luck trying to sell them then. At that point I decided I didnt want to sell to him anyways!!

TerBear24,

You should have told him, "well if you want Mike tennis shoes instead of Nike tennis shoes then go right ahead and head down to the pet store".

The shoe will be cheaper and may or may not be just as good quality, but you have no guarantee as to how well it was made or what it is made of.

Pet stores in Tusaloosa, sell chins for alot more than breeders do. But of course you get that nice fancy cage with the oh so healthy plastic shelves in it!!

Cheryl

I also had my share of bad buyers. I have sold several chins to a person who I thought would give them a good home and breed responsibly, only to find out much later that she had aquired more than a hundred chins in a short period of time without having the resources to even take care of a few.

She also did not honor her promise to let me buy them back if she can`t take care of them anymore, sold some of them to wholesale instead.

I made the mistake to let her take some chins that were not paid for yet and she sold them to someone else without even letting me know, of course keeping the money to herself.

Luckily I know where some of my animals went, they are with a responsible breeder where they are doing really well. But unfortunately I will never know where the rest of them are.

From now on it will always raise a red flag if someone is trying to buy a large number of chins from me in a short period of time, especially if they are not able to pay for them right away, these type of buyers appear to be horders, not responsible breeders.

Claudia

I seem to be pretty lucky for the most part with my buyers. Sure I have the sudden excuses and the no show deposit people but do have stated on my website the right of refusal to sell. Did just that today for the first time and returned the deposit. I don't think this was a bad person, just the most difficult I have ever dealt with. Have been trying to please this person since January and finally I quit.
Wanted a chin that was calm and would sit on his lap. Wanted pictures, more pictures, profile pictures. Made a deposit, didn't want that chin afterall, more pictures of chins born recently, pictures not good enough, more profile pictures and on and on. Stated I couldn't provide perfection and he said if he was patient he should be able to get near perfection. Nope, no more. Couldn't imagine what it would be like if he took a chin home and the chin pooped crooked or something. Couldn't take the chance.

It sounds like I have been pretty lucky,too. Most of my "buyers" actually showed up. I have had a couple that vanished into nowhere. One of my buyers did have to reschedule, but her reason sounded legit. It seems that the bank allowed someone to withdraw money from her account. She got it taken care of, but it took 2 weeks for the bank to put the money back. She did come and buy the little guy that she put the deposit on.

OH, I had a buyer who purchased a pair of brothers. Two months later one broke his leg, she called me and I told her I wasn't familiar with any of the vets in her area and she would do best to bring him to my vet to be sure he got the proper care. She didn't do this. The vet she went to set his leg improperly in a cast (the bone was still sticking out of the skin!) and sent him home without pain meds, or any after-care instructions.
One month later she decided to bring him to my vet because he wasn't getting better. He had a terrible infection (gee, I wonder why?) and his leg was still broken. My vet said it needed to be amputated right away. This person had the gall to call and ask me if I would pay for the $800 surgery! I told her to get Care credit, which my vet accepts. The chin ended up dying from septicemia because of the infection that set in when the leg had been improperly set and casted in the first place. OY VEY!

Thank god this is the only bad buyer I have had. Everyone has taken awesome care of my babies. I have had plenty of obnoxious prospective buyers though...

Like most breeders, I get a lot of emails from weirdos. Most of them are easy to spot from the get go. I try to respond to everyone and always be polite. I require people to fill out a questionaire. Those who take the time to do so are usually good and serious. The others I usually never hear from again.

So far I've only had one buyer that I regret selling to. She answered the questions right and seemed ok, but a while after she bought a chin from me and another chin from someone else, she posted them both for sale with some story about suddenly having to move out of town saying that the chins were left at her old house with a friend of a friend who doesn't like animals checking on them occasionally. Having to move suddenly...ok, I could maybe understand that. Leaving pets behind in an empty house under the care of who knows who....unacceptable regardless of the circumstances. I politely offered to take both chins in until a home could be found and was even willing to go drive four hours to pick them up but she never replied to my emails or pm's. No idea what happened to the chins.

I had a woman contact me and tell me I was horrible and was contributing to pet overpopulation, I later learned she was a jack russell terrier breeder.

What? That's crazy. Jack Russells are probably one of the dogs I would say probably should be strictly controlled in numbers. They're like normal little dogs on crack or speed or whatever would make them crazy. I love them, but come on...stop jumping and trying to scratch through the door!

I had someone tell me that they would in no way support my rescue because I helped breeders find homes for chins... Whatever that means.

A lot of people are just whining for the sake of whining and like to bug other people for no reason.

Well I am not a breeder, BUT I had a few people who know i have female chins and male chins, one of which is a beautiful Mosaic with a pedigree, wanted me to breed them just so they could have a.... get ready..... FREE chinny, seems they thought since most of my chinnies are Rescues that I would just give them the baby to raise??????? WHAT, I dont breed them and have seperated the accidental breeding pair. I just wanted to biff them. I took the high road and just said NOand stated that IF I were to breed it would only be the Pedigree to another pedigree of equal standards and they could be spending at least $200.00 on it(I know kinda high, but I just wanted to see their eyes)LOL some people.

Latest posts

Back