Giving Chins as Christmas Gifts

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, what Bobbie, Bailey, Cuddlebug, and others have said I think is a totally different story. If you do your research or have experience then surprising someone with a chin is fine. It's the people who have done no research, want it beacuse it's cute, and later end up getting rid of it, that make me frustrated.

About 99.99999% of the time I am contacted this time of year for a chin it is for a child under the age of 12. Sometimes they lie to me about the ages of their children, and sometimes they scream at me on the phone for saying a six year old shouldn't have a chin. Last year I had a woman with a seven year old tell me that her child was 9! Then she called me at about 11 pm one night and left me a nasty message saying that I had agreed to sell her a chin when all I had done was talk to her briefly about the care of chinchillas.

Oh dear, I would really lose patience at that point. I'm sure chins can be fine for children if they're good with animals and it's the parents who are really responsible for them (I had my first hamster when I was five), but they're not an ideal pet for them, and anyone who has got to the point of lying about the age of their children should really really reconsider. Don't think people like that really have the sense to do that!

Saw an advert today that is sadly relevant to this topic:
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...eap-chinchilla-for-our-boys-xmas-pressie.html
Now, I wouldn't like to judge someone just from a small advert (and the children may be older), and maybe it will work out fine...but 'free or cheap' really rings my alarm bells at the best of times.

I may say something, not sure what though. The angle that usually seems to work best is not so much 'chins can find it stressful to be around kids if they're noisy, and are very delicate', but the 'chins aren't that much fun for children since they don't really like to be handled etc.'. I always feel a hypocrite saying that when I have a chin on my lap, though!

I may say something, not sure what though. The angle that usually seems to work best is not so much 'chins can find it stressful to be around kids if they're noisy, and are very delicate', but the 'chins aren't that much fun for children since they don't really like to be handled etc.'. I always feel a hypocrite saying that when I have a chin on my lap, though!

That´s brilliant, I love it!

I read an article the other day about the hidden costs of christmas pets. The article was about dogs, but the same goes for chins. While my chinchilla was part of my christmas gift from my boyfriend (it was MONTHS early and NOT a surprise), I did all my research and picked him out myself and made sure I was truly prepared. Doing something like that is different than "Oh here's a box with a chin in it, isn't it so cute?" and then he gets forgotten along with all the other gifts.
If I were going to give someone an animal as a gift, I'd probably start out with a care book. If they read the book and were still interested after the holiday/birthday excitement was over, then I'd take them to look at pets. But NEVER as a surprise.

My first chin was a surprise, for my son on his birthday, from my sister. His hamster had just died, and it being his birthday, she asked him if he wanted a chinchilla. I had never heard of them, and neither had he; but being as he was heartbroken over the hammie, he said yes although I said No.

That was 5 years ago and knowing what I know now about the conditions Herby was living in before we got her, I am glad he said Yes against my No. Even with all her problems, she has been a joy to have around and hence the reason I now have 4 total; 2 of which are medical chins.

But my case is different, as are a lot of others I am reading. I am still under the notion that animals do not make good gifts, unless there is an understanding on everyone's part on what gos into care, vet bills, love, etc. I agree with everyone that has said it would maybe be better to wait until after the holidays to sell any chins and that it would be a good idea to stick to just supplies for right now.

The way i see it, You wouldn't give someone a child for Christmas as a surprise, why on earth would someone give an animal for Christmas? All of my animals ( or my Kids as i like to call them) were thought out and research done BEFORE we brought any of them home. Anything that breaths takes alot of time, care, and money to keep happy and healthy. My heart sinks every time someone decides that their pet its "to much work". People need to do their research and be 100% sure they can care for this animal and know that any animal isn't cheep to have. I can't tell you how much money I've spent caring for my kids. But i wouldn't have it any other way.

I have one chin going home on the 23rd. He is a "gift" , but the person getting the chinchilla, and the person "buying" the chinchilla have been in contact, they have all supplies picked, and his cage is currently set up. He isn't a "surprise", that is unplanned and that is unwanted. I made an exception for this sale.

In general, I do not think an animal should be an unplanned spur of the moment gift. If the research is done, the cage is prepared, and the party getting the chinchilla KNOWS its coming I don't think its bad depending on the people involved.

That's totally different, Megs. That sounds like a good buyer.

This isn't the people wanting to come over on Saturday evening to pick out their chins. They keep asking. I've told them I have no babies, they keep insisting they want a chin. How on earth do I make chins in three days? I guess I could construct them from wood and seagrass....LOL

That's totally different, Megs. That sounds like a good buyer.

This isn't the people wanting to come over on Saturday evening to pick out their chins. They keep asking. I've told them I have no babies, they keep insisting they want a chin. How on earth do I make chins in three days? I guess I could construct them from wood and seagrass....LOL

If you can construct a chin from wood and seagrass send it to me. I'm sure the girls would love to attack it. :D

I just adopted out a "Christmas Present" chinchilla, but the person getting the present came with the person giving the present to adopt the chinchilla. I would never adopt out an animal that the person getting had no idea of.

I put up that I won't be available until after December 27th. Now people are emailing me angry about that? I said I don't have any chins available, which is true because I am not selling chins this week...but they want to know if I am selling adults if I don't have any babies. Other people are thinking that they are going to still come here to pick up a chin for Christmas. One lady really has convinced herself that she's going to send her husband here even though I said that she could not come over.

Seriously, the phone calls were annoying enough, but to actually have people angry that I won't be available? This is crazy. I let all my messages go to voice mail and not one person bothered to leave a message. I turned off the ringer on the phone back with me in the chin rooms. If anyone calls and I don't answer, that's why!

This is because of that news story. It is so much worse this year than ever before.

hmm... all this makes me think I'd liek a chin. Can you mail me a babie? You could overnight it, so it woodn't be loneley for to long. I think FedEx would work. Or UPS. The UPS guy was just here so I no he noes where the house is. I'm not stupid, so I did alot of reaserch and can get a chin for $35. But I'll buy one from you by mail for $40 because I read your posts and no we're friends so I'll pay more. Send it to me by Saturday, so I can put it under the tree. kthanx!!

hmm... all this makes me think I'd liek a chin. Can you mail me a babie? You could overnight it, so it woodn't be loneley for to long. I think FedEx would work. Or UPS. The UPS guy was just here so I no he noes where the house is. I'm not stupid, so I did alot of reaserch and can get a chin for $35. But I'll buy one from you by mail for $40 because I read your posts and no we're friends so I'll pay more. Send it to me by Saturday, so I can put it under the tree. kthanx!!

Hahaha! I like the attention to spelling!
I needz ite b4 crismas! Pleze send yesturdae or we freinds noe moe. PS The only vegtables I liek are carits with ranch and tomayto on samwichs, are these ok 2 feed? Lady at petstore said chin mostely eats carits and corn and raisins, she said tomaytos r ok to.

Wish I knew what station said chins were good presents, I would totally tell them off too!

A happy chin christmas story, my boyfriend and I picked up little Sid a week before Christmas and he has settled in wonderfully, I spent Christmas day watching everyone opening presents whilst itching to get home to let him out for his playtime and first dust bath.

I like the happy stories.

By the way, the phone calls ceased yesterday and picked up again today. I still have no babies...Santa didn't bring me more.

I had someone back out of adopting one of the chins I am weaning. The next person on the waiting list is wanting the chinchilla. Sooooo...I probably have maybe 6 or 7 people on the list at this point. Maybe I will have a baby available by next September?

Mildly random. My girls have a friend who JUST turned 6. When we moved here (currently living with my parents) My kids of course wanted to show off the chins.

At first this child was fine with them, but over time became more rough, etc. Eventually she was banned from seeing any of the chins.

Well she nagged (I didn't realize til after the fact) her dad/grandma for a chin for christmas.

My husband, kids, and self went out of town for christmas. According to my mother, the girl shows up on the doorstep the day after christmas with a small cage and a 'something' inside. Turns out it was just a hamster.

I'm just thankful Dad or Grandma had the sense to tell her 'no' to a chin. I have an odd feeling though it was merely because of the cost.

According to my mother, the girl shows up on the doorstep the day after christmas with a small cage and a 'something' inside. Turns out it was just a hamster.

I'm just thankful Dad or Grandma had the sense to tell her 'no' to a chin. I have an odd feeling though it was merely because of the cost.

That poor hamster doesn't stand much of a chance either. I don't agree with any child that age getting a pet to solely take care of, especially when they have shown they can't properly handle them, even if it's "just a hamster".

They should have said no to the hamster as well, but for some reason people seem to think that animals like hamsters and mice are more disposable pets. They are just as delicate as a chin, I would almost so moreso because of their tiny size.

I feel bad that they get treated so terribly, but people seem to consider them less importance then an animal that is larger or with a longer life span :hair:

I actually didnt sell any for christmas gifts this year! I have in the past but it really depends on the people. Some you know have done their research and some have no clue!

Back