GI problems

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjenn2005

This is my post from health and hygiene but this has now turned into an emergency as she has had no poos since about 7am:

"How can you tell the difference between gi problems (bloat specifically) vs being a very chubby chin? I've had a chin with gi stasis, bloat, and intestinal problems, but Phoebe seems to be showing different signs. I noticed her belly was bigger than normal and a little firmer than usual. Her poo is smaller than normal but I just moved to a new apt and figured she was just stressed. She is a very large chin so I'm confused as to whther she just ate a lot today or if she truly has bloat. I gave her 2 dropper fulls ofbaby mylicon and her poo is back to normal. She is still active eating peeing and pooing (just smaller but now normal) any advice would be great! And if I need to go to a vet does anyone have suggestions for lexington ky? I searched online before I moved and found pennyroyal vet foor exotics. "

EDIT: I have been giving her baby mylicon as well as bene bac. When I massage her belly a few poos do come and they look normal but she will not poo on her own. My biggest concern right now is finding a vet in Lexington KY or knowing what I should do at home until I get her to a vet that does chins. She is 5 years old, and the only thing that has changed in the past few weeks is a made a very big move (4 hours away) and I think this may have stressed her out as I haven't had time to set up her playpen which she normally gets about an hour in each day. All of her food, hay, and water is the same (she gets only bottled water).

a move like that has cause soft poop in one of my boys but not a situation where there wasnt any. are you sure? try letting her out in playtime and gettign the gut moving and see how many poops you get.

I can't tell you the difference you would feel between a full chin and a bloated chin. I am not that experienced, I just know what's normal for my chin.

Have you tried a sock filled with rice and microwave it until it's warm (comfortable to touch)? When my chin had gas that seemed to be the one thing that immediately made her poo.

Do you have time to syringe feed her? That may help her to not get worse if she just has a bit of gas. Chins don't poo that much during the day, since they are sleeping a lot, but of course it's all relative to what is normal for your chin and you would know that best.

My chin, Chloe had gas some weeks ago and this is basically what I did:
*Fed her at least 10 mL every couple hours (smaller meals when I got super worried and fed her every hour, but I'm not sure it was needed. Just me going crazy).
*a dropper full of simethicone a handful of times a day (mostly before I fed her).
*Let her out about 3 times a day for about 25 minutes each time.
*Tried to massage her belly when I could.
*Used the bag of rice a few times a day. Warm it up then put it underneath them so they are lying on it and their abdomen is on top of it. I ended up making a fleece cover because she kept trying to eat the sock.

Mind you, this was during the summer when I wasn't in school and was only taking online classes, didn't have a job just a flexible volunteer one so I had the time to do this for several days.

Also--just a thought: she could be eating her poo, as I believe chins do that a lot during the day. So maybe she is pooing but you just aren't seeing her ingest it. The simethicone won't hurt, I believe, and hand feeding won't either, along with extra playtime or any of the at home treatments for gas. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to treat her as if she has some gas and if she does have a bit of it, it will probably clear up in a day or two. If she worsens, then you may want to consider calling your vet.

if you felt the tummy of a bloated chin it feels rock hard and ki da like a basketball. and they seem to be in discomfort. stretching, laying on their tummy, not wanting to be touched. at least, that's what furby was like when he had some baaad gas. i don't know if it would have been classified as bloat but he was at high risk for stasis for a while back in the day

Back