Getting a Hedgie Friday (maybe)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyNameIs86

Okay, so i found this guy who is going away to college, and can no longer care for his 1 and a half year old male hedgie. I found him at a pet store (but he is selling his own hedgie from home.

I am roughly paying $200.00 For
- (1) a year and a half year old healthy African Pygmy Hedgie
- (1) 40 gallon fish tank (cage)
- (1) heat lamp
- wheel and hamster ball
- hedgie hide-away house
- food

i have a few questions.
1.) Do hedgies tend to favor one person or more then one person?
2.) How long should i leave the light on for all day and all night? or just all night cause the place i am going to put the cage is a little cold at night.
3.) a few websites said that bonding with the hedgies are only for when you have newborns, because i'm getting a hedgie (not sure what his name is), is in fact a year and a half will he bond with me at all? He is very friendly according to the owner.

You will probably want to get a different cage for him. Aquariums are hard to keep clean because they are heavy. And unless it is a long aquarium it is probably not going to get enough ventilation.

1. Yes and no. Some will favor one person, others won't. I have 3 currently. One is very much my husbands as she prefers him but she is still very friendly with me. She'd rather snuggle and sleep on him than me though. I also have 2 I have taken in from people who no longer had time for them. Both have bonded very closely with me. Both were older than the one you are getting at the time they arrived at my home.

2. Its recommended to give them at least 12-14 hours of light.

3. Can an older hedgehog bond with you? Absolutely. Will all of them bond? No. If he is a friendly hedgehog, he is more likely to bond with you than one that hasn't been handled a lot.

Back