Getting a female that is possibly pregnant..have questions.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsey13

I am picking up a female that is thought to be pregnant on sunday. I have never had a pregnant female before and didn't know if I might need to get any specific things for her if she is actually pregnant. I have been reading up on the forum but so far haven't seen anything about that and have just seen info on taking care of the kits. Would appreciate any information information/ suggestions.

Make sure your cage is baby safe, as far as wire spacing 1/2 x 1/2 or smaller is best. No high ledges as mother jumping off could hurt or injure a kit. Try not to handle her alot if you think she is pregnant. Keep her on a good diet with plenty of hay and water. Wait it out, and good luck. Female kits can stay with mom and males need to be seperated at 7-8 weeks.

One thing you need to do is mark your calendar for 111 from the day you get her and also keep her in a baby proof cage. Limited/no playtime and minimal handling to prevent injury to possible kits. Have information for a daytime and emergency vet on hand in case there are complications. Also have supplies on hand to hand-feed the kits if needed. With some females you can't tell if they're pregnant until they are giving birth. Have a digital gram scale handy to keep track of her weight and the kits weights (if she is pregnant).

The lady said she is probably a month out from having the kits if she is indeed pregnant (not sure how she thinks that since she is still with the male). Do they just have them anywhere in the cage then and don't need a little house or anything to have them in? She is currently in a critter nation cage, I would say it would be best already to have her in a separate smaller cage then the male is in since there is no telling when she might have the kits if she is pregnant. I already have a scale and have a vet about 10 minutes away that deals with chinchillas. I have already read through the FAQs at the top of this forum so seen all about what to feed kits etc if hand feeding is necessary. Is there anything else that is good to know?

Unless they are pedigreed show quality chins I would separate them and keep them that way. Most breeders suggest small cages with no shelves. There is no way to know how far along she is till you see kits so I wouldn't count on her dates. They do not need houses or nesting boxes, they aren't good for most litters.

Back