Fussy chins - diet recommendations?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelsey1018

I have been feeding Mazuri ever since I got my chins about 4 years ago, but recently they've taken to digging in their food dish, throwing out and wasting a lot of pellets. I think they may be eating less and I am concerned. They may be losing some weight and I'd really like to put weight back on them and get them eating well again. I've been thinking of switching foods to see if it will encourage their appetite again and they won't be as fussy about throwing out pellets.

What do you guys most recommend? I'm considering Oxbow, Purina Show Natural Advantedge, and Manna Pro Sho. I guess I could get the last two from Tractor Supply or a different feed store. One main reason I've stayed on Mazuri for so long is that if I accidentally run out I can run to Petsmart and get a small bag to tide me over until I can order more online. I think Petsmart carries Oxbow pellets now, too. But I'd be fine with going to a feed store for rabbit pellets if the food is better quality, if I can't order online.

Also, should I try to add some supplement to ensure they'll boost their weight? If so, what kind? Ryerson's? Or maybe herb supplements like the Organic Broad Spectrum supplement on Fuzzies Kingdom or some others on Chin store Galore?

Right now they are still eating their hay well; I feed loose timothy hay (different cuts), oat hay, and meadow hay for variety, all from oxbow or kleenmama's.

Anyway, diet recommendations would be much appreciated. I want them to put some weight back on and eat readily again.

Last edited:
How long has this been going on? I notice that at different times of the year, my chins have a sort of down time with eating. They eat less pellets and more hay. Have you actually weighed them to be sure if there is weight loss? Before you switch foods you might want to check that.

It's great to have food convenient to you. It can be a pain in the butt when you have to have it shipped in. If you end up switching to another food, one that is local to you is always easier than messing with shipping.

Latest posts

Back