Fungus/Ringworm infection two chin's one cage.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syoss

So I Have my chins for 3 weeks now and my standard male seems to be having a fungus infection. His nose is pink and flaky and his feet has the same issue and has no hair on it anymore. (upside) I read alot about cleaning their cages with 10/90 bleach water solution and washing all the fleece everyday and putting the fungi stop into the dustbath. But now comes my issue, I got a male pair. Does this mean I gotta split them up for 6 weeks. Cause I know they won't remember each other after and recoupling isn't always working.. I would feel kinda bad if they would decide never to live together again after.
The other one shows no signs though, they bath into the fungi stop together right now. Gonna call my vet tomorrow to hear whatever he has to say but I wanted your guys opinon as well!

It's been my own personal experience that one chin in a cage of four can have fungus and the others will not develop it. Or, all of them will. There's no way to know for sure. What you do know is that he has been exposed to it already, so if he's going to get it he most likely will start showing signs soon. Fungus is often a sign of an immunocompromised chin. One chin may have an issue, the other may not.

I have no idea what fungi stop is, but I would not use it. Tinactin is the recommended powder for chins. It's safe for them to roll in with no known side effects. But even before that, I would just get some Blu-Kote from Tractor Supply or on line and I would coat the affected areas with that instead. Once a day, five days in a row, the fungus should be gone.

Fungi stop is powder I got from my breeder so I guess it must be safe? The one issue is that i'm from the netherlands and I don't think I can get my hands on blu-kote over here..

Anyone from europe knows another similliar brand that we got over here? Would be very helpfull!!

Diatomaceous earth works well to help dry up and heal fungus. I have never split up due to fungus. I had an outbreak from the stress of moving new babies.

Diatomaceous earth works well to help dry up and heal fungus. I have never split up due to fungus. I had an outbreak from the stress of moving new babies.

I just 'that' on an uk site, I can order from there without shipping taxes and issues so that's great! But is this the same stuff you are talking about?

http://diatomx.co.uk/epages/eshop43...h=/Shops/eshop439661/Categories/"DiatomPure™"

And do I have to feed this to them as it says? I already cleaned out their cage cause I noticed that my other baby also is starting to develop some fungus around his whiskers not loosing hair yet though, just slightly pink and dry.

And is it true that I have to throw out all the wooden pieces?! There ledges I can clean with hot water? It said that sunlight also killed all the fungus and spores so if I get their wooden house in the sun would this be good enough to kill the infection? They really love their house and they look at me like i'm some big evil human that took away their beloved spot.. :( Poor things <3

I used flowers of sulfur when my one boy got ringworm. I think it was like a teaspoon for a cup of dust, but I'm not positive. You can get it really easy from Amazon.com. It cleared him up really quickly and his fur started growing back within a week. You can also use it on the chin without ringworm as a preventative.

Back