free time for blind chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpalRaven7

My chin Ash is blind but I was wondering if he could still have free time? I have a marshalls ferret pen so that way he would be confined and not get into anything bad or get lost or anything. I just feel bad that he is in his cage all the time, I take him out sometimes but after holding him a few minutes he gets squirmy. I also need to clean his cage lol and I figured that would be less stressful if he wasnt in it so he doesnt freak out about hearing all the stuff being moved around and not being able to see what is going on...

He will be fine in the pen. You can add some interest with a cardboard box with holes for him the climb through, some chews and toys and his dust bath. If you set it up the same way each time, he will quickly learn the layout and will be running around in it as if he could see it. They are amazingly adaptable critters.

Our little blind girl has play time just like the others and does great. She likes to explore everything in the room, seems not to be bothered by things being moved.

I had a little blind chinchilla a few years ago. I'd put him in the chin bathroom and he'd just play on the floor...he liked having some tubes and boxes to sort of explore. He seemed to explore everything with his whiskers and by taste testing.

Last year there was another blind chin or at least we thought he was. He acted like he could see when he was out. When he went to his new home he did great and the new family has no problems with him having time out of the cage.

I'm not a chin owner, but I'm a blind cat owner. If you didn't want to use the pen, we've found those baby gates are the best for keeping them in an area.

I would echo what others have said. Blind animals don;t tend to act any differently, and as long as everything in the pen is safe, do let him out for some fun time! If you put boxes in for him to jump on, of course, don't make a stack too high, but otherwise I am sure he'll love it!

I just wanted to share Ash's first free time :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMAG1115.jpg
    IMAG1115.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG1123.jpg
    IMAG1123.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG1120.jpg
    IMAG1120.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG1125.jpg