Found a cream and supliment; oppinions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoundNoFtWaL

Stitch has an on going case of bumblefoot I keep an eye on which the vet said probably won't get any better than it is. It's not bleeding or infected, but he does have wide dry calouses around his heals. I found a cream and supliment a while back and had been meaning to ask my vet about it and finally did last week when I took Stitch in for his ear infection. I was using Protecta Pad cream for dogs on his feet. I asked the vet about the Protecta Pad when I took him in in '09 for his bumblefoot. She questioned that the ingredients weren't listed, but said to use it, but if it looks any worse stop. I stoped using it becasue it didn't appear to be helping. Well, on my hunt for something to help his feet I found Healx Soother Plus Cream:
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/Soother-Plus-Cream/products/51/
The pictures they have of the injury cases where they used the soother Plus Cream make it appaer to be a useful product. And there are reviews on this site: http://www.exoticdvm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=HEALx.testimonials
makes it sound like it might be a good thing for Stitch's bumble foot.
My vet said I can order it directly from the website, or they can order it for me.

They also make a vitamin supliment called Sunshine Factor from their website:
SUNSHINE FACTOR
A natural, whole food vitamin supplement for all animals
SUNSHINE FACTOR - This organic Brazilian red palm fruit oil complements all diets (Harrison’s Bird Foods or seeds) except Power Treats and can be used as a dietary supplement for all birds. Do not use in conjunction with Booster..

BENEFITS
Natural vitamin precursors have been found to have more potent positive health benefits and fewer side effects than synthetic sources.

Sunshine Factor:
• Is a whole food source of carotenoids (precursor to natural vitamin A, including alpha- and beta-carotene)
• Is a non-synthetic source of 6 forms of vitamin E (tocopherols and tocotrienols)
• Is a natural, rich source of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) when compared to other oils, which benefits the heart
• Has high antioxidant content for immune system support
• Contains a good balance of fatty acids
• May benefit the animal’s skin, eyes, heart and immune system by strengthening the overall nutritional status
• May improve the animal’s energy level, particularly in geriatric, pediatric or weak patients
• Is beneficial for all aspects of the skin, coat or plumage, including dry skin, dull hair or brittle feathers
• May improve the effectiveness of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
• Is a vegetarian oil that is more stable than flax oil
• Is easy to administer because animals like the taste
• Is a sustainable agricultural product grown on Fair Trade farms in Brazil.

Individual results may vary. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/Sunshine-Factor/products/52/

And then there's the Booster which I was thinking may help his skin:
BOOSTER
A natural, whole food vitamin supplement with antimicrobial activity for all animals

Booster is beneficial as a dietary supplement for all Harrison's diets, except Power Treats. Booster is especially helpful for stressed, sick or feather picking birds or for birds that need support of their immune system. It works well for birds during a diet conversion, in hand-raising formulas, for growing chicks and for any bird recovering from an illness or being medically treated by a veterinarian.

BENEFITS
• Has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and antiprotozoal properties
• Has high antioxidant content for immune system support
• Is a non-synthetic source of 6 forms of vitamin E (tocopherols and tocotrienols)
• Is a whole food source of carotenoids (precursor to natural vitamin A, including alpha- and beta-carotene)
• Is a natural, rich source of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) when compared to other oils, which benefits the heart
• May benefit the animal’s skin, eyes, heart and immune system by strengthening the overall nutritional status
• May improve the animal’s energy level, particularly in geriatric and sick patients
• May help eliminate recurrent infections without the use of antibiotics; also works well in conjunction with antibiotic protocols
• May support healing of conditions affecting the skin, coat and plumage, such as dermatitis or feather-picking
• Contains a good balance of fatty acids
• May improve the effectiveness of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
• May inhibit non-autochthonous life forms while allowing native GI flora to repopulate
• Is a vegetarian oil that is more stable than flax oil

Individual results may vary. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/Booster/products/50/

I'm questioning wheather to get the Sunshine Factor or the Booster or neither.
I'm going to try the Soother Plus to see if that will help with the calousing.
Right now he's on Baytril for his ear infection and I'm adding half a powder capsule of PB8 probiotic to his food for gut support while he's on the meds. He's been on Purina Rabit Chow Show Formula Since October. I switched him to this from Mazuri because I got a good pirce on a fresher bag while coming across country. Wasn't too sure about the last bag of Mazuri which was stored in a hot barn when I bought it. Keep in mind I'm in Vegas. 120 degrees in the summer can't be good for much of anything. We have central air, so keeping cool at home isn't a problem.
Here's the break down on the Pruina:
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS Crude Protein(Min)16.00%
Crude Fat (Min)3.50%
Crude Fiber (Min)18.50%
Crude Fiber (Max) 21.50%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 0.70%
Calcium (Ca) (Max)1.20%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.40%
Salt (NaCl) (Min) 0.50%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) 1.00%
Vitamin A (Min)4,800 IU/lb

INGREDIENTS
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Soybean Hulls, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Cane Molasses, Soybean Oil, Ground Oat Hulls, Lignin Sulfonate, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Iron Oxide, L-Lysine, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Ferment Product, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Yucca Shidigera Extract, Copper Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate.

Do you think vitamin supliments are a good to have while on medication? He has access to an unending supply of timothy hay as well, I just bought a 3 string bale from the feed store.

Has anyone ever used these HEALx products? Do they look like they would be of benifit to Stitch, or other chinchillas, or just another company trying to make a buck?

Maybe I should have posted in diet and nutrition? Sorry Mods. Wasn't sure which one to post in. Move the post where ever it should be.

That's a mess of a post.

I will start with the comment that there is some belief that probiotics can nullify the effects of antibiotics. Nobody seems to know for sure, but it is food for thought.

There is no need for probiotics in a healthy individual.

Do you have pictures of the bumblefoot problems? If you have a camera, use the macro setting - it usually has a flower by the option. :))

Haha, yeah sorry so long and complicated. I thought I remembered the opposite that the antibiotics nullify the effect of the probiotics. I don't see how it could be vice versa. I don't normally give him the probiotics. The first time I took him in for the bumblefoot issue he was on Baytril and we had him on the probiotics then. The vet said to go ahead and do it again this time. His ear is looking a lot better now. He's been on the meds since the 11th. We're going back in for a check up on the 25th.

I don't have pictures of his feet. I'll have to take some, but it probably won't be until tomorrow that I'll be able to post them. It's going to be a 2 person job and my fiance won't be home until 10 tonight. I'll try when he gets home though.

I'm not sure if the Sunshine factor will help the bumblefoot because I honestly know nothing about treating it (I only know ways to prevent it). But I know hedgehog people use the Sunshine Factor for hedgehogs with dry skin issues and seem to have had great results. I actually just ordered some to try with my hedgie's moderate dry skin.
I think some hedgie people use the Booster too, but I didn't do much research on that because I wanted to try the Sunshine Factor.

I'll have to read the Hedgie boards:) I was just thinking the Booster or Sunshine Factor might help his skin and in turn help his feet. Maybe if his skin were healthier then it would help to prevent so much of the callusing. His cage surfaces are covered in tripple layer flece now and have been since '09 to help prevent any further damage to his feet. He likes perching, so he's got multiple tubes and spends most of his time in them.

Probiotics theoretically replenish bacteria in the gut that is killed off by antibiotics, there is a question if the probiotics actually "living" through the trip from the stomach to the cecum. I have never heard that they effect antibiotics.

I remember reading to give probiotics 4 hours before antibiotics, so that there was a chance for them to live in the stomach before being killed off. If they don't live past the stomach I suppose there's not much chance they'd be of any benifit at all. I've never read anything that says they are harmful, so I'm following the vet and other knowledgable chin keepers.

Spoke to the vet tech who spoke to the vet. They reccomend the Sunshine Factor and the Soother Plus cream. The vet says they are safe to use while he's on the antibiotic, and will 'hopefully' be benificial to his healing. They think the Booster might be overkill right now since he's responding to the antibiotic for his ear infection. Our vet does have the Sunshine Factor, but would have to order the cream for me. The tech said she has both on hand for her own animals exotics and dogs. I'm going to order directly from Harrisons' thought as the vet would mark up the price.

Tried to take pictures of his feet. I'll have to figure out how to attach.

Attachments

• both feet.jpg
    both feet.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 17
Back