Fleece or Bedding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking to switch from paper pellet bedding to fleece. What are the pros and cons? I am looking for something that is easy to clean but also low odor. I find that the paper pellets smell just fine for 1.5 weeks before I need to clean the whole cage. How does fleece do on smell?

if your suggesting fleece then let me know where you got it, I had problems with a liner I made myself. The pee just sat on top instead of being drawn thru the fleece to the center material.

Paper pellet bedding is not safe for chinchillas so that would definitely be one con. Paper when eaten will get wet and expand inside the gut which can cause impaction. If you decide to stick with bedding over fleece you ought to switch to either kiln dried pine or aspen. With just one chin I found I could get the bedding to last a week without it getting too smelly especially if I spot scooped his favorite pee spots.

If you use fleece it will smell after a while like anything else if the chins pee on it. You will need to wash it frequently. Most people who use fleece use a small container to serve as a litter box and put bedding in that. Many chins will pee in mostly their litter box meaning the fleece can last a lot longer before it gets smelly. However, you'll want to shake it off/vacuum it/use a glove to scoop off the poos several times a week or it'll look really messy.

My understanding is that paper pellets aren't good to use, as they expand when wet, which could cause a blockage within the chin's digestive system. I use Aspen, but I have every intention of switching to fleece as soon as I can afford enough liners. Most people who use fleece also include a Pyrex baking dish filled with bedding (Aspen or KD Pine) for their chins to urinate in. The appeal of fleece for me is that it's easier to clean, causes less of a mess on the floor and is more cost effective over time.

i use fleece liners. i have 2 FN 142's.
all i do is get a 1.5 yard of fleece and wrap the pan. (well i'd be 1.5 yard per pan)
and for absorbancy i use a towel or sometimes cotton batting.
i usually stick to the towel though. and it costs less than having someone make them.
and i use a glass baking dish and put some aspen bedding in it.
i have not noticed any odor, and they're easy to clean.
less of a mess to clean up off the floor too.

Back