Fleece liner?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I bought this cage for my chinchilla before I knew much about them and was just trying to avoid plastic:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001W8MDKO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1383179462&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Overall, I love this cage so much and cookie seems to love it too. Now I've read that chinchillas can get bumble foot (sp?) if they spend too much time sitting on wire.

I can't afford to buy a new cage like a ferret nation. I know people with those cages use fleece liners on the bottom. Is there any way I could do that with mine? I recently bought fleece and made a hammock and I have a ton of fleece left over but how would I secure it? Or should I not worry and continue to let her sit on the wires?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have a wire bottom cage with a pan that slid in under it. I just laid the fleece on top of the wires and used binder clips to secure the corners.

I bought posterboard at walmart, cut it to size, and used fabric glue to glue the fleece to the board. That way the bottom was solid, I was worried that if I just laid fleece directly on the wire that his feet would still slip through. This way there is something solid on top of the wire but I still covered it in fleece so it's soft and he's not tempted to chew it. :)

How do you plan to wash it?

I have the same cage. I remove the wire thing at the bottom. And put the black tray in that slot where the wire thing had slid into Has been working good for me
a6e2y2ag.jpg

Back