Fleas and Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

Do you ever have to worry about fleas on chinchilla's? I'd assume fleas would go on any animal they can. I posted about problems with fleas on my dogs and luckily they aren't as bad since we've gotten some new products. But i was curious about Fleas with Chinchilla's....does it ever occur? and what do you do about it? None of the other animals go in the room with the chins, especially in the summer since the AC is on and the door is closed, but i'm sure fleas can venture anywhere, I haven't seen anything about fleas when reading about chins, so I was curious about that.

Everything I've ever seen has said that chinchillas can not get fleas due to their super thick fur. I couldn't say for sure if that is true or not, but I can say that personally I've never had a problem with it. But then again, in the rare instance when I've had to deal with fleas at my own home, I have all the tools and chemicals at home on my work truck to deal with them professionally.

Chins can get fleas, especially around their ears and feet where the fur in not as thick. It is rare, but it is still possible.

i agree with the posts above, it's super rare because their fur is so thick that even fleas will sufficate, however, i wouldn't be too worried, chinchilla problems are mostly their teeth or fungus

i agree with the posts above, it's super rare because their fur is so thick that even fleas will sufficate, however, i wouldn't be too worried, chinchilla problems are mostly their teeth or fungus

I wasn't worried about their teeth or fungus, just curious about fleas, not overall chins issues.

Back