First Hedgehog: Adopt or buy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannahrj

I'm so excited to be looking into getting my first hedgehog! It seems as though I have two options: adopt an adult/young hedgehog or buy a baby (from a breeder, of course!). What are the pros and cons to each option? What would you suggest for this first-time hedgie owner? Thanks!

I suggest just finding the tamest hedgehog you can. When you adopt from an individual you could get anything depending how well they've handled their hedgie. If it's a nice outgoing hedgie who has been handled daily there's no reason it wouldn't be a good idea for a beginner. However quite frequently hedgies are rehomed because people don't have time for them or have been scared to handle them so they are huffy antisocial and in need of tlc a beginner might not be ready for.

A good breeder should not only have tame hedgehogs but be able to pick one with a personality you want. Do you want an explorer who wanders around while out and plays with toys or a cuddler who's content to sleep on your lap as you go about your activities? You do have to watch out for breeders who have gotten in over their head and haven't handled their hedgehogs as much as they should because they produced too many.

Keep in mind even tame hedgies may be a little huffy when they first smell a new person. Some hedgies are just huffy easily. If they just keep huffing and popping and carrying on in a ball though for an extended period of time I'd move on to another hedgehog unless you want a potential challenge.

That's a tough one... my thought (all other things being equal) is to go with a baby you can watch grow up in your own home. Of course, things are just about never equal, eh?

So far, I bought a baby from a breeder, took in a juvenile rescue who was scared out of his wits and turned out to be the sweetest boy ever, and took in an adult rescue who is making slow advances at being okay in this world. I wouldn't undo any of those choices... they're all so different. And wonderful.

Go with your gut. If you can meet one or both before deciding, you may get a feeling that one or the other is "supposed to be with you." Go with that. It will be the right choice for you.

Back