Ferret Nation trouble....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meghan

I got a new ferret nation cage about a week ago, and im already having problems with it... Today, when i opened the top left door, it flew off! the top right door is having dificulties closing, and it wont open all the way... the bottom half seems good though. i also noticed a wire on the top has been bend out of place, but i bent it back straight. also, on the top, the back bars are always loose no matter how tight we tighten the bolts, they always shake... this cage was brand new and im no expert, but i dont think i should be having this many problems, expecially with a ferret nation cage...

Could you get the door back on? It sounds like you got a cage that got dropped off of the truck! If the back is loose when the bolts are tight, the frame of that panel is probably bent. You can try to make it work, but you may have to contact the manufacturer so they can send you a new back panel and doors.

For the door opening and closing issues try this:
First remove your chin from the cage. Then loosen all of the bolts on the top half of the cage 3 turns or so. Then grab the top of the cage and move it side-to-side and front-to-back to let everything settle. Tighten every bolt 2 turns, then 1/2 turn until all are tight. Some of the door panels on FNs are slightly out of alignment and a "crooked" cage will make it worse.

This is just a thought but is it possible that the frame where the doors go into was installed/assembled upside down. I only ask because I had purchased an FN at Petsmart that was already assembled. When I opened one of the doors it flew right off. I had to take it apart as it was assemble incorrectly and that particular piece was assembled upside down.

This is just a thought but is it possible that the frame where the doors go into was installed/assembled upside down. I only ask because I had purchased an FN at Petsmart that was already assembled. When I opened one of the doors it flew right off. I had to take it apart as it was assemble incorrectly and that particular piece was assembled upside down.

nope, the doors are all on right side up, the ferret nation label is in the top left corner on both top and bottom... i have no idea how the door flew off though... but its back in place..

It might not be the actual doors that are upside down, it would be the front panel that the hinges are on that is upside down. The doors are supposed to come off, but you need to lift them straight up and off to do so. If that's not the case, then the cage isn't put together correctly. Also, I would do as StevieP suggested and unscrew everything and redo them, making sure all screws are tightened the same amount. If you have one or two screws tighter than all the rest, it can pull the cage out of alignment and make things crooked.

Everything is on right side up.. Today, we unscrewed the top cage and redid it, and we are still having the same problem. I'm going to email the company tomorrow morning.

See picture below: Did it look like that when your door fell off? Or was the skinny part on the bottom?

Attachments

• FN.jpg
    FN.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 34
Back