Feet Issue?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AznTiger

Good evening everyone.

As I finally had some time to play time with Tum Tum and Bam Bam, I just noticed their feet seems more cracked than usual. I am worried that its starting to look bad. I called up a vet already and awaiting news to meet. But I wanted to get an idea of what people think when they see the pics. Both Tum Tum and Bam Bam live in a wire mesh cage with some fleece and areas where they can keep away from the wire floor on a general basis. They usually sleep in their house unless they are eating are playing on the wheel.

Then tonight, I had to take some pictures. I am freaking out a little and worrying if my chins may have bumble foot. Until I meet the vet, is there some balm or lotion that I can use to soften up the feet. It seems chapped. :wacko:

Here are some pictures attached. Ive renamed them according to Tum Tum or Bam Bam's feet. Does it look really bad? I mean the chins are still very active. No blood anywhere. Still jumping and eating and pooping normally. They run like crazy around the house during play time. But I know chins are good enough to hide pain and so on......Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am very worried!!! :cry4:

I will be checking up on the chins daily and if there are any recommendations to moisturize the feet until I hear back from the vet would be great.

Attachments

• TumTum1.jpg
    TumTum1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 37
  • TumTum2.jpg
    TumTum2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 31
  • TumTum3.jpg
    TumTum3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 33
  • BamBam1.jpg
    BamBam1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 32
  • BamBam3.jpg
    BamBam3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 31
I am not certain which thread I ran across it in, but if it is a dry skin/ dry feet issue, you may want to pick up a tin of bag balm (green square tin - got mine at walmart or cvs pharmacy, don't remember which) as that was what was recommended - maybe try a forum search on 'bag balm' or 'dry feet'?

Im not an expert and someone please correct me if I am wrong but it really looks to me like a bad case of dry feet and not bumblefoot. I would treat it like dry foot personally... mostly because I dont see swelling or serious redness/bleeding. Some say vaseline is fine or bag balm or even vitamin E. I use coconut oil

Bag Balm or vitamin oil capsule opened to spread on the feet for dry feet works well

just looks like dry feet to me, and a vet visit isn't needed. a little vitamin E from a capsule, or bag balm. rub it in really thin and sparingly.

chin feet need to be a little bit dry to be tough enough for all their jumping and antics. you don't want them all soft and supple like your hands would be if you used lotion often.

where would you find these type of balms and so on? would like regular stores like target or like walmart have some?

Thank you guys to giving me ideas. i was sure I was getting a mini heart attack. Since the weather is taking a turn to be cold and getting into winter, im worried its going to get more dry

would you put these daily? once a day? 2 times a day? :hmm:

i would put something on their feet whenever they looked a bit too dry, and not necessarily on a set schedule.

i believe you can get bag balm at walmart and at tractor supply or feed stores.

Thats great! thank you guys! Will get some tonight! I hope it will help them feel better. I just dont want it tooooooooooooo dry. heeh thanks!!!

Back