Feel kind of stupid asking this...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
But is it possible to house a hedgehog in a FN 142? I have one chin who owns both levels right now. But do you think dividing the cage (obviously) and keeping the hedgehog on top and chin on bottom would be alright? Or do you need to keep hedgehogs in a tank? I know that they have different temperature requirements and such, but I'm not educated enough regarding hedgehogs. Halp?

I would say yes, it's possible, but no, it's not smart. Hedgehogs need to be warm, and Chins need to be cool. I have to keep him in another room to make sure his requirements get met. :) Many people recommend just a plastic bin with a lot of floor space.

No. As mentioned already, temperature requirements for these animals are completely opposite. Temperatures that a hedgehog likes are going to be too warm for a chinchilla and the temps a chin likes will cause hibernation attempts in a hedgehog.

Chinchillas require air conditioning, hedgehogs require supplemental heat.

In addition, chinchillas are lively and bouncy, a hedgehog is very quiet and shy. The bouncing around in a cage that a chinchilla does will keep a hedgehog startled and upset.

Hedgehogs also shouldn't be kept in tanks. A nice wire guinea pig or rabbit cage that has a solid floor and allows for good ventilation works quite well.

If you are interested in hedgehogs, please come on over to the hedgehog side, read posts and ask lots of questions. These two animals are very different.

Okay thanks guys. I'm not very serious about getting a hedgehog at all, I was just wondering if it would even be possible. A hedgehog is something I might be interested in a few years down the road, so maybe later when I've got the time and resources to put into preparing for an entirely different animal. I appreciate the info you guys have supplied me with.

Why have a animal that is illegal in California?

I don't have an animal that's illegal in California. :neener: Also, I never stated that when the time came for me to get a hedgehog, if that day ever comes, that I would still be living in California. :)

Back