Favorite Chin Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuraktty

I'm just curious what will your chinny do for a treat? (Kind of like the commerical what would you do for a Klondike Bar). My little guy, hides hes shy. But the moment I bring out a chin Dandelion yogurt treat he zooms to the door and stands on his hand legs, beggined:laughitup: My other two jump up and down multiple levels of the cage and run in circles.

Milo LOVES Cheerios! She snatches them right out of my hand. From what I understand those Dandelion Yogurt Treats are NO good for chins!

I just ordered the gingerbred men cookies from Your Chin Store Galore and Rex ABSOLUTELY loves them and along with my package a little sample of Herbs and Oats which Penelope shockingly loves, she's very, what's the word, grouchy. :] As I was putting a little on my hand she stuffed her whole nose into the bag and started munching away! :D I guess this means I'll be buying more!

Milo LOVES Cheerios! She snatches them right out of my hand. From what I understand those Dandelion Yogurt Treats are NO good for chins!

I give about one a week but I'll have to look into them. I thought they were safe as they're made just for chins. I might see if the boys will accept cherrios instead.

On another note, the guys go INSANE for their supplement. They get 1tsp a day, favorite part of the day for them.

I give about one a week but I'll have to look into them. I thought they were safe as they're made just for chins. I might see if the boys will accept cherrios instead.

On another note, the guys go INSANE for their supplement. They get 1tsp a day, favorite part of the day for them.

Are they the yogurt drops that you buy at a pet store or walmart or something? If so drop them immediately, they may say made just for chins but basically the people that make them are just trying to make cute little treats and make money off you, you can buy much heathier treats and a more reasonable price from one of the vendors who are on this forum.

The dandelion yogurt drops are not good for chins. Mine loves rosehips, flower salad (purchased from Crysta), and rosehips (also purchased from Crysta). Of course Pple sticks are a hit.

The dandelion yogurt drops are not good for chins. Mine loves rosehips, flower salad (purchased from Crysta), and rosehips (also purchased from Crysta). Of course Pple sticks are a hit.

Pple sticks? Is that like people sticks? :confused:

lol

Mine love shredded wheat and i'll give them a few calf manna pellets occasionally also.

Pple sticks? Is that like people sticks? :confused:

lol

Mine love shredded wheat and i'll give them a few calf manna pellets occasionally also.

I'm sure she meant Apple ;)

I just bought some home made Chin Cookies from Mish, and everyone absolutely LOVED them. They gobbled them up immediately, even Sonya--which is saying something! As a proper lady, Sonya never eats in front of anyone...except when she has a cookie from Mish, it seems!

This is a common treat we see pet stores recommend and it's no good for the chinnies. Really, most grown mammals have difficulty processing dairy, it's just not good for them. Some vets will try to say that yogurt is good because of probiotics and that's just a load of crock. You can get probiotics on their own at any health food store and be giving your chin a much better option. They also contain sugar and the "dandelion" they use is not appropriate.

The treats of choice here are whole wheat pastas, non-frosted shredded wheat, cheerios, and wooden sticks of any kind. If I pass out wood sticks...it sounds like I have a room of termites and they're all convinced they won the lottery. :D The other treats cause fighting and stealing so I rarely give them, if at all.

On another note I just switched my chins to Tradition feed, from the pet store food I'd been feeding. I was mixing it half and half, to help transition them over to it. However the guys have other plans they pick out all of the Tradition pellets and leave the lessr quality pellets. I guess chins can tell quality.

You guys were seriously right about those Dandelion drops by Vitakraft! I just looked at the ingredients, the first one is sugar! I threw them out right after I saw that, the boys like their healthy treats just as much as those junk ones. I'm switching to cherrios and rose hips. And keeping them with their beloved apple wood chews.

If they are not wanting to switch onto Tradition, you need to do a cold turkey switch and just give them more pellets. What are the other pellets they are on? Usually the crap pellets will taste better because of sugar contents or because treats are mixed in. Just like with kids, if you give them an option of eating cookies and drinking soda instead of carrots and water...they'll eat the cookies and drink the soda. It's not good in any sense for them so we have to step in and say "no" and not give them the choice. I just switched over three chinchillas that have been on Fiesta for two years. The owner insisted that they absolutely would not eat any other pellet she put in the cage. I cold turkey switched them and gave a lot of hay. They refused the pellets until they got hungry and now all three eat the pellets with enthusiasm.

I'm glad you tossed the dandelion drops. Don't be fooled by the pet stores! They say a lot of things are safe for animals that are not safe by any means. It's frustrating for those of us that have been around a long time as we've seen too many animals die from unsafe products.

Hey RDZCRanch- How do you do the whole wheat thing as a snack? Do you boil them or just give them to the chin raw? I just boogles my mind, everyones just been telling me to give Milo Cheerios, rosehips, shredded wheats. By the way, Milo is now jumping on her ledges, I guess it was because I still had the one ledge in there from when she had the ear infection. I didn't want to put anymore in there until I knew she was ok!

You just give them the whole wheat pasta raw. That way it's fun for them to crunch, not messy and good for them. You have to give it in moderation like everything else, I wouldn't do more than a small piece every week or two.

RDZC sorry I typed that wrong. They're refusing the old pellets and ONLY eating the Tradition, they pick out the Tradition or kick the junk food out of their bowl. I guess they think Tradition tastes better.

I also switched to rosehips, not going over too well but hopefully they'll pick up on them.

Also speaking of unsafe diets I couldn't believe it! I was at a petstore today and was told that treats can make up 40% of a chins diet! They recommended topping the food bowl with treats everyday! (They told this to a different customer who was asking about portions for treats)

I swear pet stores are trying to kill chins - some of them are nuts. If you chins are eating only the Tradition then feed them just the Tradition. Throw the other stuff out.

Back